1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there less "Pick" bass playing now than then?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Skel, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    *starts running for cover*

Is there less recorded "pick" bass playing now than there was, say 20 years ago? I would think so because there are so many more talented fingerstyle bassists these days, along with better recording technology, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

2. locally I can tell you there's more picking than fingerstyle by leaps and bounds, rock wise. I mean...maybe 20 pick players to one fingerstyle. that might be an exageration...but not mucho f one.

3. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
    yeah most metal and rock players today use picks.Except for Troy Sanders!

4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I switch off with both depending on what I'm doing. However, most of the people I know use fingerstyle exclusively, but most of the people I LISTEN to use pick either exclusively or 90% of the time. I think a lot of it has to do with style/genre.

Personally: 80/20 : finger/pick

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's my feeling as well - but I think it was because originally bass guitar was designed to allow guitarists to double on bass and the popular "tic tac" bass sound was DB doubled by a picking guitarist - BG was sold as a way to get this sound with just one player!! :p

6. I would imagine that picks are a little less prevalent now than 20 years ago, simply because the "glossy" production aesthetic of the '80s favored definition and attack over everything else. Also, bassists in those days typically had massive walls of synthesizers, hyper-processed guitars, and super-compressed drums to break through.

I find myself using a pick a lot more these days than I did 3-4 years ago in college. It probably has to do with all the post-punk (Smiths, Cure, Gang of Four) to which I've been listening lately.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Very interesting and surprising. Thanks all.

8. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    we talking about rock, or....what?
    rock...everyone i see plays with a pick
    everything else....less pick.

9. I play with a pick 100% of the time. I just don't personally care for the tone when playing with fingers. Or I should say when playing with my fingers.

10. I really like the tone when playing with my brother's fingers :bassist:

Also, at least in what I listen to, there is mostly fingerstyle, and it's usually rock, but there are a share of pick bassists that I like. Although it often seems to come to ,with pick players, that they use a pick just to cut through the mix of really heavy guitar or rhythm guitar, rather than personal preference ( At least from alot of articles I've read ).