Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there only one Big Muff?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Is there only one EH mig muff? Besides that russian one that I read about I guess. There is a used one at the local guitar shop for $50. I just want to make sure that it isn't designed for a regular guitar only.
    And why I am at it, should I get it, or the Ibanez overdrive/distortion. I know jack about distortion, but $50 looks like a good deal for that pedal I read so much about. I would use some distortion from time to time.
    Thanks,
    Wes

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I got my Russian BigMuff Pi used for $25 at my local store. It is made for guitar, but it doesn't remove the low end like many guitar pedals will do for bass. I like mine a lot, it is the best distortion I have used on bass, and can't be beat at that price.

3. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    This one is the silver box. I might go ahead and pick it up then.
    Wes

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Go for it, you won't regret it. Of course, give it a work out in the shop before you buy it.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There are four Big Muffs:

Original NYC
    NYC Reissue
    Green Sovtek (Russian)
    Black Sovtek (Russian)

If it's silver, it's American and a hell of a deal. If it's green, it's big but good. If it's black, it's not too bad either.

IMO, $50 is good for a Big Muff regardless.

BUT, there is only one type: it's made for guitar but it's a VERY popular with bassists. Like me :)

6. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I picked up the pedal at lunch today. It doesn't have any info on it except on the front it says Made in New York. It is definatly at least a couple of years old. There was no manual, but I got the wood box! I need to find the manual, and also find some info on running this off of my 9V DC pedalboard. It looks like the usual 1/8" mono plug that I use on my SKB25 pedalboard will fit, but I dont want to reverse the polarity and smoke it. If anyone has one, please let me know.
    Thanks
    Wes

7. i'll check the polarity on mine later, and let you know. but, the thing is very kind to batteries if you have to run it that way.

8. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I popped open the battery box before I came back to work, and it looks like I could probably trace out the polarity from the battery if I had to. I am pretty damn excited about it. Can't wait till I get home and try it. Oh, how do I tell if it is an original NY or a reissue?
    Wes

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, the adapter is a 1/8" 9V/100mA with center positive.

10. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    That is probably all I need. Just out of curiosity, is that the same polarity as a Boss pedal, or the Sansamp BDDI? If so, I am golden.

11. ok. i won't check the polarity later.

12. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks anyhow man!

13. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
  14. lol ***. that made me laugh

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even funnier when you realize his username is 3 crotch grabs... :p

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I've had many different "Big Muffs" over the years.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm with the Dude - I could answer that question, but not in a forum suitable for children!! ;)

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dude, you can bust me all you want over at the Dudepit, but TB is MY domain :D See ya over at the Pit!