1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there really a big difference between Squire vs Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aasti3000, Jul 26, 2012.

1. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    I'm new to the bass world and I'm currently searching for my first bass. Within the search I've asked other bassists about Squire's and they seem to say things like "If you want to save money then get a Squire...if you want real good tone then get a fender...better wood." But the Squire's I've tested sounded great...especially the P basses. I have enough saved up for a Fender but...is there really a sound difference between the two? Just seeing if my ears are deceiving me.

2. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    A lot of people really like the squiers. I loved mine when I had it. Honestly, I've never played a fender, never really wanted to, so I can't tell you if one or the other is better. Just play what feels right and get that one.

codycon96 likes this.
  3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Yes, Fender is better than Squier.

However, there ARE some exceptions. Every so often a Squier will just have that something special.

Remember it's just a bass. The biggest drawback to having Squier on the headstock is gonna be other musicians. Gear snobbery will happen with the Squier. Prepare for it.

The Fender will have (most times) a better feeling neck, better fretwork, better electronics and hardware.

If you have enough saved for either, go play some basses!! Only YOU can decide.

4. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    ...there were times, when it was the other way round!:bag:

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Overall yes. Fenders have better wood quality, electronics,hardware, Fit/finish and QC. Fenders cost allot more for these features. Will all this make it a better playing and sounding bass than a Squier? That my friend is up to the player and you.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes..I'm lucky to own two of those gems myself ;)

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    There's not much in it really. Fenders are still factory basses mass-produced from budget parts, with designs that haven't really changed in 60 years.

I think most players could do what they do quite adequately with a Squier, it's just ego that drives us to buy something with a more prestigious name on it.

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    That is true to an extent, and a person can do well if they find a good Squier, don't get me wrong.

But the fact is that most people end up modding their Squiers with better tuners, bridges and electronics. Why not start with all that already done?

In the end though, it's all just wood. If you find a Squier that speaks to you, buy it and rock the hell out of it.

9. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Hmmmmmmmmm.....that is an interesting statement I've heard so far. I'm asking because I've tried them both and my ears just couldn't really tell the difference but because I'm a newbie to basses I thought this forum could help a brothah out.

10. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    You just answered the question, you tried both and you can tell the difference, well just go with logic, go with the one that cost less for now and later if you find a Fender that sounds and feels better than what you have, go for it. :D

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Can sometimes be an obnoxious jerkweasel.
    Every Fender is not better than every Squier, but on average, Fender basses are better than Squier basses. If you are happy with a Squier, go ahead an buy it. If you buy used you will probably be able to sell it for what you paid, if you decide later that you want a Fender.

12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    The best advice.

It all comes down to which bass is gonna make you wanna play it. Go with your gut.

13. grinx

grinx Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    love my Squier, albeit with new tuners and pickups

get a Squier, mod it for fun and knowledge if you want and buy an amp or laugh all the way to the bank with the leftover cashishe you saved by not buying a 'Fender'.

heck, you can even buy a $10 Fender headstock decal and replace and only Fendergeeks will know the difference

:bag:

14. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Sounds like I have to follow the "go with your gut" advice. Lots of different opinions so as some of you have said, it's up to me....the player of the bass.

15. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    i think there is a notable difference in the tone, try hearing one of ed friedlands demo on the squier classic vibe vs his fenders

16. Sound? It's a really simple instrument. Squiers may have lesser quality pickups, but this is easy to solve. The biggest difference is quality of assembly. Squiers will be less consistent- nut slot depth/location, fretwork, finishes etc will vary more on a squire. But some are very, very good. If you like it, buy it.

17. exmaxima1

exmaxima1

Jan 27, 2009
    Geneva IL
    From my experience with maybe a dozen models:

Hamer Cruisebass2TEK>>FenderUSA(newer)>FenderJapan>SquierClassicVibe>FenderUSA(older)>FenderMIM>SquierAffinity

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    To say that Fender basses are better than Squiers is an inaccurate statement. To say that they're made with woods and parts that are supposed to make them better would be more valid. Quality control at Fender has always been an issue. I've owned American made Fenders that came to me with sharp frets, pieces falling off, pickups that didn't work, and a plethora of other problems that happened within the first few months of my owning them. And I don't even want to start listing the things that were wrong with a 70s P bass I had. While it could have sold for $1500 more than a Squier there is no sane person that would take that over a Squier if it didn't have Fender written on the headstock.

I owned an active Squier 5 that absolutely killed all the other Fenders I ever owned up to that point (I'm loivng my new antigua jazz). And it wasn't just my opinion. All the guys I was playing with at the time were blown away by it, and I was constatnly asked what kind of bass I was playing - with people saying it sounded awesome. I sharpied out the Squier logo after a handful of gigs. :)

I would love to see a blind bass test with Squiers and Fenders right out of the box, with players who weren't builders or people who modify all their basses. I think the results would be hilarious, and people would speak and feel very differently about Fender basses.

19. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I have a Fender American 60th Anniversary P that is an incredible bass. I love every thing about it.
    [​IMG]
    Having said that, I also have a Squire Vintage modified Precision TB and it plays, sounds and looks great for about a thousand less.
    [​IMG]

20. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Gonna look into that...