1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there really a point of having 8 basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Oct 4, 2006.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I never thought that I would be the one asking this question as I love buying basses, but lately I've been looking at the 8 basses I own and I've been asking myself why? I know diversity in gear is a must for gigging bass players, but my band plays pretty much punk rock and my P-bass just does the job best. Now my dilema is that I have acquired some really nice basses and some that are pretty rare and I'd really hate to get rid of them. So what do you think, is there any point of me hanging on to these other basses that really dont get much play anymore? or should I sell them off and just use my #1 player?

2. I wouldnt reccomend selling them all. Maybe sell like 3-4 if your short on cash or something. Just try to get basses that sound different from eachother, and ofcourse some for sentimental purposes. :cool:

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I sure as hell hope so....because I have 7 right now.

4. img]http://yvon.basses.googlepages.com/IMG_0659640x480.JPG[/img]
    IMG_0675640x480.jpg
    IMG_0752640x480.jpg
    IMG_0756640x480.jpg
    IMG_0757640x480.jpg
    IMG_0760640x480.jpg
    IMG_0766640x480.jpg
    IMG_0767640x480.jpg
    IMG_0769640x480.jpg
    http://yvon.basses.googlepages.com/IMG_0777640x480.JPG]/img]

IMG]http://yvon.basses.googlepages.com/acoustic20BW20bass-1640x480.jpg

acoustic20BW20bass-3640x480.jpg

acoustic20BW20bass-4640x480.jpg

IMG_0755640x480.jpg

IMG_0781640x480.jpg

IMG_0786640x480.jpg

IMG_0787640x480.jpg

untitled640x480.jpg

i still hqave more coming!!!!!!!READ MY SIGNATURE!!!:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

5. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Hi,

Do you see yourself playing in the same band forever? You may need a different sound in the future. Of course you could always buy another instrument for that "different sound", but chances are, you already own it :)

Even if you decide you really only want the p-bass, keeping an additional instrument would be a good idea in case something happens to your p-bass right before a gig.

I feel your pain, though. I have a p-bass and a fretless that hardly get touched and think about selling them occasionally. Once you get so many basses, you can only play so many of them very often. I own 9 instruments and only play 5 of them regularly, but I'd miss the other 4 if they were gone.

What other instruments do you own besides the p-bass?

6. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Funny...there was a time when I bought every bass I played...it was OK until I realized that I had amassed about 12. I began selling the ones that I "rarely" played and then sold the ones that I "seldom" played.

When I was done I was left with 4. I somehow feel that I could probably get by with one or two but just can't bring myself to part with any more.

Interesting thing, however. I noticed that after the "sell-down" I was left with the work horse basses.....3 Fenders and 1 Ric......
    At this point, I figure that if I can't get the sound I like with these 4, then I don't need it....:D :D :D

+EDIT+

I might add, though, that if CTBass ever decides to part with that Acoustic amp....I could be persuaded to jump right back into the fray!!!

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Since I currently have six basses, it is clear to me that you have two more than you need. ;)

Hey, life is short. If you like your basses and you want to keep them around, who cares if it "makes sense" or not? :cool:

8. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Hell, with 4 I found myself leaving one for dead all the time. Now that I'm at 3, I need another 5-string. And a 6. And a couple more 5ers.

9. I have 3 basses, an acoustic and electric guitar, and a ukelele:cool: . Not much of a collection, and I pretty much only use 1 of the basses, but I'm not selling them. =)

10. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    I don't beleave in selling instriments <SP?>

I only have 3 basses but really I could get by with one

they have sentamental value I've writen songs with those basses

same with my guitars, violins, and drums

now my keyboards I can sell and have sold they have absolutly no personality

11. I have acoustic 360/361,122,136,and 220...allwork great!!! ive seen a few on ebay !!! what model are you looking for and ill keep an eye out for you!!!:bassist: :bassist:

12. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Acoustic made great equipment back in the day. I used a 360 for a long time in the early 70s and always loved it! It's a shame that they went under...

I'm currently using a SVT5Pro with an 8X10 cab...seems to work real well. Thanks a lot, though!

13. all my acoustics are from the 70s and still operate great!!! :hyper: I also have a electric acoustic black widow(only model that acoustic ventured into for a couple of years in the mid 70s!!!:bassist:

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Do you like 'em? If so, that's the point!

15. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
    you can always look at it this way, if they aren't eating anything then keep them. What I mean is if they are paid for and you like them and they are bothering anything keep them till you have to sell one or two.

No sense in getting rid of them just to do so, or b/c the girlfriend/wife says to. See how much you can get for her and consider that. (ok, i am kinda kidding) Also as soon as you get rid of one you will most likely justify a way to get another one, and there is nothing wrong with that either. Sell one buy two more, enjoy them while you have them, life is too short.

S

16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I have six right now, but they are all very different, so I think there's nothing wrong with having several.

I wouldn't see the point in having several basses that were similar, though.

17. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    BartmanPDX

I have 4 fretted and 2 fretless bolt-on basses that are identical (except for the frets).

with the band equipment - fretted, back-up fretted and fretless

at the studio that I work at (where I practice the most) - fretted and fretless

at home - fretted

The '58 Pbass and neck-thru fretless live at the studio, too.

That way I don't have to lug a bass around . . . I'm a old guy, ya know

18. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ive thought the same thing...

i have 8 basses to, and i also play in a punk band... so ya, one of them would work. but eh, whatever. i work hard for my $ and my basses make me happy - i earned em.

so its all good... i figure "just 'cause" and "because i can" and both valid reasons to have "too many" basses

19. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I think it is just different with everyone. Some people think I have a lot of basses, but they are each unique in their own way - so it makes sense to me. Do I ever see myself owning a ton of them? No. I just don't think I need *that* many choices, but it is nice to be able to be diverse. They don't get in the way; they all get played...I guess that's most important. If I ever have something that looks more like it is around for show only, I don't see any reason to own it.
    My .02 cents.

Mark

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Owning 8 basses is pretty much pointless. You're not really even getting started until you have at least a dozen. I had 16, but sold off four. Now I'm moving toward the pink bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021