1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there really such a thing as a Neo soul bass line?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Apr 26, 2009.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    ?

2. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Is there really such a thing as a purposefully narrowly defined anything? ;)

3. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Doesn't 'neo' soul imply that the basslines are, by definition, a soul bass line (but newer)?

If a tree falls in the woods, and there is no luthier within range to craft it into a bass, does that tree make a neo-soul sound?

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Back on topic - listen to anything recorded by Andrew Levy with the Brand New Heavies. As "neo-soul" as is gets!

5. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    This thread is going to be fun.:D

6. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Not all Neo Soul is sample or synthesizer bass which is what I am guessing this baited question is directed to.

Is there a such a thing as a _____________ (insert narrowly defined genre) bassline?

Why would the answer ever be no? (unless there is nothing filling out the lowend/bass spectrum)

7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    I'll answer that with a question.
    Is there such a thing as a hip hop bass line, since it was all sampled from other sources on records???

So previous lines associated with a specific style may it be soul , jazz or whatever are now associated as being hip hop lines.

Am I making any sense to any of you???

8. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    See previous Jauqo thread title & content.

9. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    No, no, no! That was Acid Jazz.;) Wait a second - new thread topic: "Is there really such a thing as an 'Acid Jazz' bass line?".:p

10. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Pino on D'Angelo's Voodoo?
    Pino on Eryakah Badu's Mama's Gun?
    Raphaeel Sadique?

11. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Also if you check out BIG FISH AUDIO's catalagogue, they've got a couple of Neo Soul sets with Josquin Des Pres on bass

(Big Fish make sample DVDs...)

12. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Pino+questlove kind of defines this for me... the "funk brothers" for the modern day!:)

Voodoo blows me away still. Can't tell you how many times I've copped that feel on gigs and sessions.

13. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    +1000. Neo soul, hip-hop and whatever other neuveax style is mentioned has authentic roots and original ideas. It's not all just samples from some 20+ year style or recording like a lot of people say it is.

14. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Music evolves and it's time to accept that fact. Everybody's playing style is a sum of one's influences and own ideas. And it will continue being like that. Nothing wrong with it.

In fact I think the thread title is a bit disrespectful towards "neo-soul" players, like also the earlier similar hip-hip thread was to hip-hop players. Maybe it's good to have a discussion about this, but I honestly don't really see the point with it. JMHO.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Whats so disrespectful about the question ? Read the thread(if you haven't already) "Hip Hop bass lines do they really exist?" and see what one of the most respected bass players recording in the Hip Hop genre has to say.

Ok.

Regurgitation does put food on somebodies table doesn't it?

16. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I don't care reading threads that are as long as that one, just have taken a brief look at it a few times. Takes ages to read the whole thing. By the way, are you referring to yourself or someone else?

Anyway, to put my point in other words: If you play a bassline in hip-hop, soul, neo-soul or whatever genre, you're playing a hip-hop, soul or neo-soul or whatever bassline. Even if the bassline might fit into another genre as it is. Root+fifth basslines are not locked to one genre either - there's lot of different music styles featuring basslines like that.

Odd way to put that, but yes it does, and I'm cool with it as long as you don't lie and claim your food is all fresh.

I confess there's a slight contradiction between these statements but I hope you get my point anyway. There's probably not a simple yes or no answer to this question, but that's how your question is formed. Do you really expect a simple yes or no here? What would in that case your own answer be?

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

You're trying to build a case against a question that was asked and you haven't even read the entire thread in question.

Read the thread and see who I'm talking about.

Resort to the thread that you didn't want to read through.

Well most music that is marketed as new and fresh really is nothing more than regurgitation in a new wrapping and nothing more.

No contradiction at all and I do get your point.

It is if one knows the truth.

Here's a nice clip of D'angelo with Pino and Questlove :)

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D That's kind of silly- there is no "truth"- just opinion. Unless you can find it written in stone somewhere, then it's purely opinion, no "truth" to either side of it.

19. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Where is that popcorn emoticon?...

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm....good question and sorta related to the previous 'Rap/Hip-Hop bassline' thread. I will say yes. That style of 'dragging' is pretty much culled directly from the Neo Soul movement. I've not heard it in any other style of music.

OOMV (Other Opinions May Vary)!