Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there something like a "Sterling Lite" ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    gang
    I have always loved the sound and flexibility of a MM Sterling, but the weight is a drawback [because of the weight, I stare at the price and wonder ......].
    Truthfully, my last-of-the-american-made Hamer Cruise with the active emg's and insane 2tek bridge has all the bottom of the sterling, but not nearly the flexibility

so...... the question is: is there a bass out there that has the tone and flex of the MM but in a lighter weight body? shorter scale would be ok.... i'll use both

oh.... 4-string. I tune down one whole step...

zapp

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I've played a few heavyweight Stingrays and some very weighty Stingray 5s, but the Sterlings, with the smaller body, always seemed to weigh less.

What kind of weight are you looking for?

3. Sterlings ARE light.....

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sterlings are light.

What do YOU think is light?

5. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    well, you guys may be telling me the answer...but according to the specs there is only 8oz diff. both are nine pounds plus.... I think lite would be 7 lb or so. My old hamer is even heavier, pushing 10 lbs, so 9+ is in the right direction!
    that's why i walk rather odd.....

zapp

P.S. BIG P.S. - i am not an expert on Hamer anything and am beginning to wonder which Hamer Cruise American 2Tek I have. Mine is "one of the last" American made Cruise 4strings, having both a 2Tek Bridge and Active EMG's of some unknown model/spec. When I look up Cruise Bass info online I cannot find this bass. The typical 4string 2-tek equipped American had passive Duncan's on it. Even more odd: the one I played in a music store that convinced me to buy was equipped with Active EMG's, but I passed [just under a grand] and bought mine online for about $500, flawless except for a wiring mistake... i fixed. what is this thing? it sure has a HUGE dynamic range

6. I'm telling you right now... unless you get something semi-hollow, or chambered, Sterling's are one of the lightest solid body four string bass guitars made of ash on the market.

Unless you opt for something made of basswood, you are not getting any lighter.

7. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    A mate of mine has a bad back, and plays a Stingray which used to kill his back. What he did in the end, since he loved the bass so much, is he took it to our local luthier, who made him a new body for the bass out of very light swamp ash, and stuck a big control cavity in the back to lose even more weight (no chrome plate around the knobs or pickguard anymore), then just transplanted the bridge, pickup and circuit out of the original Stingray body into the new one. The bass is now almost 3lbs lighter and doesn't cause him any problems at all.

8. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    re: Gotoh... have thought several times about replacing the 2Tek but what a mess it would be. better to just buy another and add to the closet!
    The 2Tek has its strengths, but mine can be so 'sustain'-oriented that it gets in the way. so, 90% of the time I play with a foam strip dampening the strings back against the bridge... works pretty well. turn the treble DOWN....
    z

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    AIR BASS!!!! :bassist:

I guess you could get a sterling and have a pro chamber it for you.