1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there something odd about this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aparker82, Oct 16, 2013.

1. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    I notice there is no serial number on the headstock, the pole pieces are beveled, and something on the logo seems off?

I'm not an expert on Fender basses, just trying to learn more so I'm an educated buyer when it comes to basses.

I noticed the bridge is after market but that seems fairly common.

Thanks in advance for chiming in so I can learn.

2. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    It looks fantastic......

(a pic would confirm this of course)

3. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
  4. I think it's odd that the shot of the full bass has no logo on the headstock, while the shot of just the headstock DOES have a logo....

5. I think that's really odd too. I think there may be photos of a few basses involved here.

6. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    I saw that too but dismissed it as a lighting issue, maybe I shouldn't have dismissed it...

7. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I am gonna go with "no".

To many questions, to many iffy pics.

8. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    No serial number either. The Fenders that I've owned, either had it on the headstock front/back or on the neck plate. Those are not Fender tuners either. It could be a parts bass that someone stuck a Fender logo on. I'd ask the seller some detailed questions before even considering buying it.

Then again, if you can get it for $52.00...

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The ad reads "looks like a licensed Fender neck".

Unless this bass sells for $75, run away fast. If it does sell for $75, it is probably a good deal on a sweet little player and/or backup.

10. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    That's not a lighting issue.
    My first thought was a parts bass with an Allparts neck. The photo with the Fender logo is a little blurry.

Email the seller if you're interested. I doubt it's a rebadged Squier.

11. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    That thing looks sweet too bad it smells fishy.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Parts bass.

13. Guys, that's not a Fender bass. Read the description.

14. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    Ya, the fact that the full pic has no logo or serial #, yet the headstock closeup does, makes me think this is not legit. Possibly a fender bass with a replacement neck, but I'd pass due to the shaddiness. If you're REALLY interested, at least email and ask about it before bidding

15. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    :spit::mad:

16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    not sure why all the speculation, seller admits up front it is an aftermarket neck ... no mention of other components, but the machines are of the quality of a Squier ... with three pictures of the gig bag, and one of the $7.50 strap included, I wouldnt be expecting too much .. but, it is legitimate ... it is a BASS .. just not a Fender

Edit to add: .. there are at least a few questionable basses currently on Ebay (as usual), that sellers are listing as Fender models, and asking some pretty decent $$ based upon that fact, and they are NOT as up front as this seller .. I half expected to see one of them on display here when I opened this thread ...

17. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth

He's certainly trying to sell it as one though... just look at the heading!

"MINT Fender Electric Bass w/ New Gig Bag & Locking Strap"

18. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Parts! Fake logo, cheap tuners. Pickguard size/shape and body size/shape don't jive to my eyes either. $100 max.

19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Problem is, the seller advertises it as a "MINT Fender Electric Bass". His description is more vague than it should be. "this looks like a licensed Fender Neck" should read "This bass has a non-Fender neck".

I don't think the seller is trying to deceive, though. They're not a guitar dealer. Most of his sales seem to be jewelry. They're probably a pawn shop or some kind of 2nd hand store. I'd cut them a bit of slack as they seem not to understand the used instrument marketplace. They're probably doing the best they know how listing this bass.

20. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    hmpf...totally missed the description. Not much of an ebayer these days and didn't realize you had to scroll way down the page to see it.

Still, if someone says "Mint Fender Electric Bass" and then tries to sell me a bass with a replacement neck that they say "looks like a licensed Fender Neck", I'd steer clear.

Also, why is there a picture of a Fender Precision bass headstock with full logo displayed on the page, yet the full bass picture shows no logo? Seems a lil less shady now that I've read the description, but I still feel like the seller is attempting to deceive and wouldn't even think about bidding on it without having a few questions answered.