Is there something that will do this!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RedGrange, Jul 14, 2001.

1. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I'm looking for a signal processor to even out the output on my bass. I think a compressor might do it... but not sure which one to get.. pedal, rackmount..etc.. My G&L is overdriving my amp and I can hardly run it in active mode without fear of frying it. Or would an Eq pedal that boosts around 30 hZ (I've having a hell of a time trying to hear any notes lover than E when we practice).

Thanks for any help.

PS.. I'm looking at a dbx compressor.. would that do it?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm not sure if a compressor will 100% help you with your problem as you don't tell what amp you use.
    I'd recommend lowering the input gain and compensating with the poweramp volume.
    Or perhaps the amp is too small for the volume you need.
    Usually a good amp can cope with any output coming from a bass, and I haven't heard that G&L's have super high output. for compressors...
    dbx compressors are quite good.
    any rackmount compressor in that range will get you good results. Just stay away from stompbox compressors.
  3. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I play an Ashdown ABM (model number escapes me.. but it has the stereo power-amp).

I think the problem has to do with the power where we played, and the fact that I wore different ear plugs than I normally do. The power wasn't grounded right.. when I got my rig back to my house... I'm llucky I didn't get shocked or blow the head

But I am putting to gether a new rack how much would a compressor help me.

G&L's are known for thier high output.
  4. he wants a normalizer i think..
  5. A limiter is what you need. It just keeps the peaks down. A compressor will get the life out of your playing, because it will engage at a low volume level and start cutting you volume at that point.

A good compressor can be set up to be a limiter. I believe dbx's can do that. I can't think of a better deal for a rackmount comp/limiter than dbx.

By the way, a 30 Hz boost will get you in even more trouble, because low frequencies require MASSIVE amounts of power.
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Try plugging the bass into the "LOW" or "-4dB" input on your amp.
  7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Just reread your original post and had another thought: perhaps your B string is too high above the pickups. Lower the saddle and see if that helps... I actually avoided having to get a compressor for my 6-string (the G and C string notes were disappearing) simply by raising the pickups on that side!

i HATE compressors...
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    it's all in the word: LIMITER
  9. JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    ever try watching that vu meter on the ash when you are playing? When i started doing studio work in the 70's, (1870's to ya'll) I would warm up and watch the meters on the MCI bridges.. pretty interesting. gee i didn't realize my touch didn't exist..

Your low output below E could be a lot of things..eq/pickup height, strings, phase of the moon, speakers..too many to just guess on.

Usually a good sound guy will have a compressor on you and lots of other stuff too from the mains board. ask her if she does. It takes a while to learn how to use a compressor..especially live..and what you hear on stage is different from the mains, etc. i hate to say it..but leave it to the sp.

Sometimes a little (in my case it was a lot) of attention paid to your touch will eliminate a lot of "stuff" like limiters and compressors and i gots to get a NEW bass with active eq's and all the other crap that makes GAS such a common malady around these parts.

Sit down with your G+L and Ashdown..this is a great sounding combo... play and watch and pay attention to YOUR dynamics. Then figure that when you are playing live, the whole mess gets exaggerated because you are playing LIVE and jumping up and down and blowing fire balls and spitting blood from your bat costume..sorry..but you are performing..and that hey, it might just require some attention to your touch..

umm i apologize if you have been playing for 30 years and know this stuff already..but a lot of quick answers in these forums come in the form of "buy this" rather then "try this".

Off my soapbox,