Is there something wrong? (Bridge pickup placement. Jazz)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jaggedsphere, Jul 9, 2016.

1. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    So I am assembling my first bass guitar and was confused to see how the twine I am using although fairly evenly(Just a smidge away from the edge of the neck) straight up and down the neck, seemed to make it look as though the bridge pickup is mis-placed/routed.
    Neck pickup seems to be 9.1cm width.
    Bridge pickup seems to be 9.4cm width.

Any thoughts? Other than moving the route for the bridge pickup, I am at somewhat of a loss.

2. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    Thought to run the twine through the first and fourth saddles of the bridge and snap more photos. I'm still scratching my head.

3. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    Moar foto:

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Is there any side-to-side play in the neck pocket? Where did you source the body?

The different pickup routs are correct for a Jazz.

5. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    Guitar Fetish for the body.
    Neck pocket is quite flush. Maybe .5mm lateral movement possible before I screwed in the neck.

Do the double pole pieces NEED to be directly underneath the center of the strings?

6. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    Maybe 1-2mm off the poles center but in this jazz body that looks too much of an offset.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Looks to me like the bridge pickup is offset to the E string side.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Sure looks like a neck alignment issue to me. Loosen the neck screws a wee bit and pull the neck at the headstock toward the bass side (E string), and while pulling tighten the neck screws. Recheck the alignment at the bridge and let us know if there's an improvement.

HeavyDuty likes this.
  9. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    Well I loosened the screws, and tried to tilt the neck towards the bass side from the headstock but the pocket is pretty tight, so there's not much room for movement.
    The center of the neck pickup and the center of the bridge pickup certainly do not seem to be aligned relative to where the neck is. The bridge pickup realllly seems to be weirdly routed. Probably what I'll do is do some extra routing and move the pickup closer to the lower right bout.
    Perhaps I should contact Guitar Fetish and inquire as well..

10. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    Just Contact GF.

11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Neck alignment.
    1. Leave strings on.
    2. Loosen screws.
    3. Push hard.
    4. Check.
    5. Repeat if necessary.
    6. Tighten screws.
    The pocket is supposed to be tight.

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    It looks to me like the work piece may have shifted on the table when the CNC machine was cutting the routs. The bridge pickup is definitely shifted towards the bass side of the body.

OP if you just ordered this body, you should send it back for replacement because it is defective.

tangentmusic likes this.
  13. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    On second look, I think you are right.

14. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Hopkins and Turnaround are right.

First image. Routs are misaligned.

Send it back.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It's like I said in post #7...the bridge pickup looked offset then and it still looks offset.

Bad routing, return it.

16. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    My resolution is that I added some thin cardboard in between the bass side of the body and the neck to force the neck at bit of an angle. Also sort of cleaned out the neck bolt holes on the body. Way I figure, these can be a bit large..
    Tomorrow night I'll mount the bridge.
    Next bass I'll be a bit wiser.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It's more of an aesthetic issue than a functional one since, at the height where the strings are supposed to pass over the pickups, the magnetic field on bi-pole pickups like J and P bass pickups is contiguous rather than discrete pools.

jaggedsphere likes this.
  18. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

It's a jazz bass. You Should have lined up the neck and bridge pichup before aligning the pickguard and neck pickup.

The neck pup, pg and control plate are outta whack not the bridge pup.

bolophonic likes this.
  19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I don't think there is enough play in the neck pocket, pick guard and neck pickup to where you could possibly align it with the bridge pickup. That rout is way off.

20. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    I now know that the neck pocket is where I would want to be focusing my efforts. Aligning where the neck actually ends up and the bridge pickup route is the crucial first step.
    The neck is on, the bridge is on, and the strings roughly pass in between the two pole pieces.
    I'd consider adding in some shim on the bass side of the body where there is now a noticeable gap but the bass seems to have great sustain already..
    Next onto figuring out how to do a fret dress and setting up so it plays well.
    Also route morr space for the battery and pots.
    Thanks for all the insight.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021