1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there something wrong I'm doing here to find musicians?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Maybe this is the wrong forum for a thread like this, but:

How do you go about finding musicians in your area? What sources do you use to find people? I'm a little out of the loop considering I'm older than most of the local metal community that actually plays instruments rather than just listens to metal.

I've consulted Craigslist and a few local music shops out in my area, and to say the least the results have been a bit disappointing. My latest ad:

"I'm 25, been playing bass for over 10 years, unemployed, and without band. I'm open to ideas, even though I'd like to be playing originals. I have transportation and what seems like all the time in the world at the moment. I don't have many influences but I gravitate towards music that sounds fast, thrashy and pissed. Send me an email for details. "

OK, the second to last sentence (I'm assuming here, which is stupid, but I am) seems to leave no room for error. I want metal (or of the like).

What do I get? "Hey man, you should check out my group. We're all about Motown covers, Springsteen, U2 a little AC/DC, some of the radio friendly rock, y'know? Anyways here's my number ***-***-****."

Oh, here's another: "Hey,
    I'm a 34 yr old singer/songwriter looking to put together an original band.
    I live in Raritan. Would you be interested in maybe starting something with me?
    I've been playing in and out of bands for 15 years or so. I'm not looking to do anything angry or pissed but I am looking to do something that rocks and is dynamic.
    Let me know what you think.

Brian"

I have dozens more responses like this. I don't really see what I'm doing wrong, maybe I'm looking in the wrong section of my "backyard".

Ironically all the metal bands in my area are teenagers straight out of high school.

The oldest group I know that I like their style I talked to and it was something along the lines of "oh yea, hey, well, we've all been friends for a real long while. and we've been playing for about the past 20 years. Good to hear someone likes us".

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Maybe it's the area I'm living in (Central NJ)? I'm thinking I'm going to start going to the shows of the younger bands tho to see whats out there.

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Par for the course. No matter how detailed and informative an ad you place, some schmo will read 'Bassist Available' and send you an email, regardless of the fit.

It is your job to separate the wheat from the chaff, not theirs to not give it a shot. They're just as (or much more) desperate than you are.

The only other option I'd suggest is to go see shows. Chat up the bands that you see and like and have a demo cd with you to hand them. Tell them that you really like their band and if anything comes up with your bassist, I can fill in. Tell them that since they're playing the music you're into, to keep them in mind if they see other bands in need of a bassist.

Also, some of these band members are looking for side projects. Just mention to a drummer or guitarist that you'd like to work with them on the side, and that might get the ball rolling.

Keep with the Craigslist, or any weekly free rag that your town has (ours is the SD Reader), and pursue the Bassist Wanted ads that are sure to outnumber the bassist available ads.

3. Yea, I'm starting to think of taking my myspace and writing music the way I used to (making electronic music with virtual guitar tracks). People like it better I guess anyways.

4. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Hey Im a central NJ bass player myself (Manville). The scene is really bad right now. I would look closer to New Brunswick/Sayerville or closer to Clifton/Bergen County for original metal bands. Bars are not having metal bands except Court Tavern once and a while in NB or you need to go o Dingbatz in Clifton.

Good Luck!

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Be open to musicians and bands of other genres. Some of those guys may gig out on one style of music, but also dig playing other styles of music as well. It's not uncommon to see a guy playing a wedding band who has a Metal, Jazz Fusion, Bluegrass, or whatever esoteric genre project on the side.

6. oh wow, your a town over from me. Yea, I figured as much, but right now I'm trying to make due with what I got (my family's digs). I may move up to Bloomfield/Clifton in a month or two but right now i was just hoping I could "get away" from what is the current music scene in my area.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA

Here's a re-write, still pretty minimalist:
    If you only want to play metal, you've got to be clearer about that.

Also, posting sample recordings makes it easier for good bands to check you out before deciding whether to contact you. The more steps required for a gigging band to check out someone they don't already know, the less likely it is that they'll go outside their circle of known talent for an initial contact.

Finally, be positive and be specific about any road-tested support skills you bring to a band: song writing, vocals (including just back-ups if that's your thing), booking, etc. That is, don't mention them if they're just potential skills ("I think I could do booking"); but include them if you've successfully provided those skills in other bands. Obviously, omit any of the details in the re-write that don't apply; but if you've been at the game for ten years and are just currently without a band, then don't draw attention to their absence either.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

the intial ad had a dark and negative cloud on it.. didn't have any competitive advantages (loving to sell, owning a PA etc)