Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there something wrong with me? I think I don't like treble anymore.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marcus, Jun 15, 2005.

1. A little background first, I grew up in my teen years listening to and emulating the sounds of punk rockers such as Rancid, and NOFX and now after playing for a mere five years or so, I don't think I can stand the really snappy high end anymore.

I don't know why, but I love listening to it, but it's as though I could never dial a high tone I can really dig or groove to... in case it matters, I do admit my musical palette has changed drastically since then, but it's not like I don't listen to that kind of stuff.

Another bit that's bothering me... active electronics are starting to really get to me... I think I may need to jettison a few in search of some nice passive darlings.

Any similar experiences out there?

2. Interesting that you should mention the active part. Have any EQ suggestions, both amp-wise and instrument wise (presuming that I have mid, treb, and bass cut/boost on the instrument)?

3. Cricket

Cricket

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey, I think one of your problems might be your bass. I've found that my bass doens't satisfy me on the trebles anymore either. I like the soud of a pbass personally for all around goodness. Maybe you should go demo some basses and see if you can find a soud you like across the board. I bet it has more to do with you trying to find the right sound for the treble than not liking the notes.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Welcome to my world.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I almost always roll off most of the treble. Goes well with thumpy flats!

Moved to Misc.

6. It's strange because it's not so much the bass, or the amp, because each of my instruments suit me well, but I've been having a hard time lately getting "that" tone I want to play.

I think I've gone insane, 'tis all.

edit -

Interesting developments, I sold my amp/cab and bought a much more economical Hartke 2x10 combo. I eq'd so the mid was cut but the bass and treble were slightly boosted. I then went on to string my Ibanez RKB900 with DR lr's and now, which is oddly paradoxical to my original post, I like the slap sound.

Crazy I tell you

7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    ...I would try to find a way to love all sound and music, not just the part for which you're responsible (e.g., the bass line). Then thank God that you can still hear the full spectrum of frequecies.

Everything is a matter of perspective. Once in awhile, we need to change ours.

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I've never particularly liked that thin, twangy, guitar wanna-be, sort of sound coming out of a bass. If you want to play guitar, go for it. If you play the bass, make it sound like a bass. The next time you listen to some Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff or Richard Holmes, listen to the pedal bass. Solid fundamental tone with beautiful harmonics, just plain clear and sweet. That's how I want my basses to sound. I use the tone knob on my Fender basses as a string age adjustment only. When the strings are brand new the tone knob is all the way off. Then as the strings age I gradually turn up the tone to bring back a little brightness.

Now just watch. Several knuckleheads will respond to this post by naming some famous guitar-sounding clowns who made it big. Then they will tell us how much they like making their bass sound like a banjo. Then they usually finish up by slamming the P-bass, flatwound, tube mud, old-school sound. Ignore these WANKERS. Make it sound the way YOU like it. ;)

9. I was not going to respond to this thread, seeing as I like lots of treble in my sound and therefore felt that I couldn't add anything to this thread.
    I agree with the last sentence of your post completly. Which means that there's just as much validiation for making your bass sound "like a banjo" than for the "P-Bass, flatwound, tube mud, old-school sound".

OK, I'm done now.