Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there something wrong with my Avatar B212??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Dec 16, 2005.

1. So hopefully this is just normal but I'm getting the ugliest of tones out of my Avatar B212 when I play notes at around the 8-14 fret on my Low-E string.
    Everywhere lease sounds okay but when I go that high up in my E String, it just sounds like...crap! The tone gets complete compressed sounding and the output gets cut dramatically. Not only that but it sounds like something wrong w/ the cab... like its distorted.

any thoughts? Is this normal?

Playing w/ a MIA Fender Jazz and Eden Wt-330

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Do you get the same result if you play the same notes on the A and D strings? If you do, that would indicate that the cab isn't dealing with specific frequencies for some reason.

That being said, I'm suspecting a problem with the bass, maybe a couple of high fret ends on the E string side, or maybe you just need to raise the E string saddle a bit.

Are you able to try the cabinet with another bass, or your bass with another cab?

Most troubleshooting involves replacing each item in the chain in turn until the problem goes away.

PS. (edit) Forgot to ask. Is the cabinet or bass new? Did this problem just start? Has it gotten worse over time?

3. The cab is new and has always been like that since I recieved it. I do not have the opportunity to use another bass or cab. The cab does not make that nasty noise when I play the same note on other strings either... just on the E string.

I'll try raising the action and see what happenes.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sounds like an issue with the bass to me.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Check your intonation. Could be that the harmonics and fundamentals are clashing.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    What kind of head are you using?

7. Akirabanana

Akirabanana

Dec 12, 2005
    Kingston, On
    I had a similar problem with my bass a few weeks after I bought it.
    Turns out all it needed was a quick set up.
    Things were peachy afterwards.