Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is there something wrong..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bigwig, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    i recently bought used seymour duncan quater pound pickups for my p-bass off a friend for practically nothing. now my problem is.. on the surface of the pickup closer to the neck, the metal poles actually stick up out of the black plastic covering.. the pole closest to the g-string is the least raised, but as the strings get thicker, the poles below are raised higher.

sorry if my desrcription is weak, its kind of hard to explain.
    my question is are these pickups supposed to look like this?
    and if not, is it something that can be fixed?
    i dont know anything about pickups, so maybe some of you can help me.

2. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    i know on the passives its supposed to be like that, I wouldnt be suprised if here it's the same case, just check out the site! :bassist:

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My 1/4#ers are the exact same way... I don't think it's a problem at all. Just make sure that the cover isn't loose :).

Ray

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    ah thanks so much.
    its just because i looked on www.musiciansfriend.com and it didnt look like there was a change in the hieght of the poles, so i thought something might be wrong.

isnt that a pain, because if the pickup is at the proper hieght, and the poles stick up another 5 mm, the strongs really close to it.

since i rest my thumb on the pickup, i cant have it sitting too low to make up for the hieght in the poles. any suggestions?