Is there such a thing as a bad electronic tuner?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chubbykipper, Apr 11, 2005.

1. chubbykipper

Apr 11, 2005
    Electronic tuners... is there a spectrum of good ones and bad ones or are they all pretty much the same?
    I lost my old tuner... it came with a guitar set my folks bought me when I was 16.... but it's been perfect for my bass and very reliable. Can't remember what make it was...
    The only problem it had was that the readings would be off and often different if I tuned down to C, which we rarely do anymore...

But are there "good" tuners and "poop" tuners? Or shall I just grab the first bargain I see?

Thanks for taking the time to read, my first post here... The name's Dan but I go by the alias Chubbykipper.
    Hopefully I'll stick around, seems like a cool forum.

Thanks again.
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I think you'll find that some tuners definitely do work better than others. Some are more precise, some have wider ranges of frequencies that they detect, and some are easier to use/read on stage. People seem to love the Boss TU-2 pedal, because it acts as a built-in mute switch, it reads the low B, and it's easy to read. OTOH, I've heard people complain about the rackmount Furman PL-Tuner, because it's hard to read from a distance, and it's not good about picking up the low B. My cheap handheld tuner doesn't pick up low frequencies very well, even though it purports itself to be a guitar/bass tuner. If you see one you like, do a search on it and see what the general consensus is.