Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there such a thing as a DIY cab kit?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tekhna, Mar 29, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    As a way to get my feet wet in the cab building world?
    That would be awesome if there was, and if there isn't someone needs to make one.

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    you should make one. that would really get your feet wet. it would get my pants wet too.

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    A kit, I'm not certain.

But there are plans/instructions/bills of material available, you may just have to buy the wood & parts yourself from other vendors.

In fact, the first one that comes to mind posts here regularly, and will probably be along shortly to fill you in....

www.billfitzmaurice.com

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I don't know of any kits, not for bass at any rate; there are many for hi-fi, a few for PA. The problem is that for a simple cabinet you can buy a Behringer or Avatar cheaper than you can build one, since you can't buy drivers factory direct at 75% off the retail price the way they do. Cabinets that are complicated enough to offer performance that exceeds what you can buy off the shelf for the most part are too complicated for kit offerings and require a high level of woodworking skill to build. By all means build you own, but don't do so before reading at least one book about loudspeaker design first. I highly recommend Vance Dickason.