1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there such a thing as a 'snubbed' neck bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fergie Fulton, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Hi all, I am looking for any info about a bass with just a shorter neck.
    Let me put this in perspective.
    Take a standard P bass, same body size and thickness, same layout, of controls, same neck width, depth, thickness, bit not length, the neck is 30" but not reduced or scaled down in any way other than its length is shorter...so as I called it snubbed.

I see lots of basses that are about the 30" mark, but they are scaled to suit in some way. Any reson for why a bass neck cannot just be shorter rather than scaled shorter?

2. If the fret positions aren't "scaled", the notes will be off.

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    My custom Mustang inspired bass (The 'Stang - by Ben Lindsey) addressed that issue for me. My beef with short scale was the narrowness and thinness of the necks... too cramped and toothpicky for my tastes.

This neck has standard Fender neck pocket dimensions, a 1-5/8 nut, and a full-sized headstock. It feels like a shorter version of my P-Bass necks. The frets are scaled to the proper scale, so as to intonate correctly.

DSC04375.

DSC04397.

Because the body contributes part of the scale length, if you wanted a full sized P-Body the bridge and everything else would have to move 4 inches closer to the end of the neck. You could, however have a body made in-the-style-of a P-Bass and you'd have something more like mine, but with a different shape.

Axstar likes this.
  4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Thanks, so when you say the bridge need to move closer, that is because a standard P bass has the saddles incorporated in to the bridge?

So if a floating bridge and tail piece was used then it is the location of the saddles that is critical?

Nice basses, and yes a similar problem with the feel being cramped.

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If you wanted a shorter neck, and 34" scale you would have to have a longer body to compensate. The vibrating string length has to be at 34"

6. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    The scale length is from nut to bridge saddles. So, with a shorter neck, the bridge needs to be closer to the end of the neck also. It's a matter of scale & proportions. I didn't do the math on my bass, and a builder could explain this much clearer.

7. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    LOL yeah I hear ya. One of the things I want to over come would be that reliance on short scale strings. By passing the strings through the body, then the anchor point can be far enough in the back of the body, maybe even adjustable, to suit various lengths.

8. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    I heard Ted Nugent keeps his snubbed neck bass next to his snubbed nose revolver.......