1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there such a thing as a stand alone 300 watt tube power amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassikBrad, May 13, 2019.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Trust me when I say that the Demeter vthf300m will make your zephyr sound like the voice of god. It is the most stunning power amp I’ve ever heard for bass. I have some Arkham stuff, can’t imagine how good they would sound into the Demeter tube amp.

Zbysek likes this.
  2. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Yes. Yes there is.

The Peavey 120/120 is a beast as well.

20190319_124410.

tombowlus and mikeswals like this.
  3. You don’t need 300 watts tube power unless you wanna be deaf. Here some other options

Mesa Carvin peavey all made rackmpunt tube power amps from 100 watts up bridged. Mesa and peavey I believe go to 250 or more. Peavey are cheap and still solid. Mesa are decent but will have the standard Mesa small iron transformers. Carvin I’ve heard are decent but out of business.

McIntosh if you wanna sell your car to get an amp.

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Another vote for keeping your eyes peeled for the Peavey Classic 120/120. There was a Classic 120 also (single channel). They used 6L6 tubes.

Raw N Low likes this.
  5. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
  6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Rivera made a TBR5 which was stereo at 160W per side.

You could probably commission at 300W build from Verellen Verellen Amplifiers - Amplifiers , Siegmund http://siegmundguitars.com/bigboy.html ,...or any number of other amp builders.

A custom tube amp is going to be heavy and expensive though.

IMHO best bet would probably be to track down an old Ampeg or Mesa.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. BassikBrad

BassikBrad IndigoBurst Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Thanks, yes I have already, but they command high prices.

8. BassikBrad

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Thanks for the Links, unfortunately Safari can't find the server !!

9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The links are good.

10. BassikBrad

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Links working now, thanks.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The Zepher is a hybrid, It uses Mosfets for output. I would expect they design all the tone in the preamp before it hits a power amp. It should work great with any power amp.

In audio tests Louder always sounds better. So maybe it's that the Fender was louder when you tried it.

Between power amps like a Tube McIntosh or one of their solid state models - there is not sonic difference that humans can detect if the test is set up fairly to account for gain matching, ...

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Sometimes power amps cost as much as the actual head. You can run through the FX Return of a Mesa 400/400+.

For a moment when I was trying a pedal preamp rig I owned a Mesa Coliseum 300. It was more like dual 180w channels but loved the look of it. Pedal rig wasnt my thing, went back to my typical Mesa 400/Sansamp in FX loop setup which is still my all time favorite for what I do.

I always thought the Strategy 500 looked fun.

View attachment 3416084

BassikBrad, Wasnex and Zbysek like this.
  13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

FYI, per the schematic, the effects return on the Bass 400 is after the tone stack, but before the graphic and master volume.

BassikBrad likes this.
  14. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, Mesa Boogie made several Power amps back in the 80's and 90's. look hard enough and you can find them: M180, M190, Strategy 400, Strategy 500, Coliseum 300.

BassikBrad and Wasnex like this.
  15. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    One more thing to add...

The Peavey 120/120 is the more neutral sounding. The Ampeg SVT definitely has it's own flavor and it's even more pronounced when overdriven.

Do keep in mind to read the instructions before operating the Peavey. It's a true dual power amp with dual xlr out and preamp inputs. Make sure to review before you bridge the amp!

BassikBrad likes this.
  16. BassikBrad

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    You are absolutely right, ensuring that levels are identical is what I did when I was running frequency response
    sweeps of both & laid one trace on top of the other. I have been conducting audio comparison tests for close to
    50 years now, & know exactly what you mean.
    Currently the Zephyr is used with a Lab Gruppen FP3400 & is stunning. But when hooked up to the
    Bassman 300 Pro thru' the FX return, the Master volume is not functional, so I had to max out the Pre Out &
    Gain control on the Zephyr,to get sufficient volume, which would not be enough for louder gig levels, so the Fender was definitely not louder.
    The tube power amp definitely has character & a sound quality that is difficult to describe, but those who can hear the not so subtle differences know what I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong, I love Class D power amps.
    Because it sounded so good, that is why I want to obtain a separate tube power amp with a Master volume control to hopefully maximize the glorious sonic qualities of the Zephyr.

seamonkey likes this.
  17. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Great note, I think it is a lesser known feature and it is something I enjoy about it. If you are running a preamp into the FX Return it offers an extra stage of shaping (good for compensating for room or cab voicing). I use a footswitch to control mine (note: only a no-light basic switch will work).

Wasnex likes this.
  18. logdrum

logdrum Formerly known as noelpaz Supporting Member

For new:
    The only one I know that makes a 300watt tube power amp is Demeter. VTHF-300M Tube Power Amplifier

Otherwise, get an Ampeg SVT or Ashdown CTM-300

Not current production:

Still not many choices for just a 300 watt tube mono power amp.

BassikBrad likes this.
  19. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I would probably recommend against the CTM300 in this instance. It's a great amp, but the effects loop is before the tone stack and the amp has a very strong baked in sound. With an SVT you can plug straight into the power amp and bypass the preamp.

BassikBrad likes this.
  20. logdrum

logdrum Formerly known as noelpaz Supporting Member

I have never heard of a FX loop before the tone stack. Did not know that CTM-300 is like that