1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there such a thing as a step UP transformer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacheteSteve, Apr 19, 2009.

  1. hey, i live in Australia and am very keen on getting a new amp however in 2011 i will be living in new york to study the bass further. my concern is that if i buy an amp in australia then what do i do with it when i move over? would it be better to just buy an amp in the US and use a step down transformer while im still living and more importantly playing in australia? or is there the possibility of buying an amp in australia and using a step-up transformer which may not exist when i move over to new york?

    i know this is sort of a dumb thread and itd be cheaper and probably better to buy one in the US, but its abit of a hassle and want to know what my options are
  2. johnk_10

    johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  3. The trouble is that good, sturdy transformers are big and heavy. I got a cheap one when I bought a Bassman from the US, and it was still quite heavy and fell apart. It was rubbish. More expensive ones look more study and are bigger I think.

    Many amps are switchable from 240V to 110V at the back (the TC Electronics for instance, I think) or in the case of tube amps easily converted cheaply by an amp tech. Might be worth considering the capability of switching as a critrerion for purchase.
  4. JimmyM


    Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd wait till you get here and buy an amp here. Flying with an amp is a giant PITA that's sure to cause you a loss of big money. For what it costs to fly one back and forth, you could probably get a killer amp/cab, and not have to deal with a transformer. And consider also, even if you get a small head like the TC, you'd need a flight case for your cab, which isn't cheap at all. Buy an inexpensive used amp here (preferably a combo if you're in NYC), sell it when you go back home, and you're good to go and you could probably get most or all of your money back.
  5. Petebass


    Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Buy an Acoustic Image amp. It has a switch on the back for 230V (Australia) and 110V (USA). It's small and light enough to take on planes as hand luggage. All you have to do is to remember to switch it to the right voltage.
  6. Bassmec


    May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    And change the fuse:D
  7. BassmanPaul

    BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

    Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Any US made amp is going to me much cheaper in the US than in Oz. Think about the cost of shipping half way around the world for a start. If you buy an amp over here you will be able to research which ones are voltage switchable. Then when you take it home it will be a simple switch of tap and fuse.


Share This Page