1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is there such a thing as an Ultralight 810 Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Jul 22, 2012.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey guys, I'm not trying to be funny, but has technology advanced enough that someone could buy an 810 cab that's half the weight as the old Ampeg 810s and still sound good? I'm amazed at the bass and tone coming out of the new breed of small cabs nowadays.

If so, who makes them and how expensive are they?

2. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    The Barefaced 69er is probably the closest thing to such a beast. Though it is actually a 6x10. And I'm not sure if they're even available yet, for that matter.

3. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Idk, but I think it'd be sick to see a sealed composite 810 with neos.

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    There's really only so light you can go with that many drivers and that much wood, but I believe the Genz Benz Uber 810 is about 80 pounds.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Nope.

6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

120 pounds.
    Markbass has one that is "only" 89 pounds.

7. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    Yep, and it sounds good too:)

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You can make it less than an Ampeg fridge that is for sure, but "ultralight" would have to applied pretty loosely to an 8x10.

My old Markbass 6x10 was around 70lbs, just checked their site out of curiosity, the 8x10 is just under 90lbs.

9. +1

10. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    A good substitute (certainly in terms of max. volume) would be Barefaced's Super Fifteen. Uses modern crazy-powerful 15's. No tweeter, smoother response curve than a fridge, but still a bit old school. And absolutely able to dish it out. Can take up to 1200 watts!
    The best part: 49 lbs.

11. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1

There are a few 215 and 212 options that can get mega loud, esp. the 2 way options (with a mid driver.)

Barefaced, fEARful and some other boutique builds will get you close to the 810 sound and volume at a lot lower weight than 80 - 90 lbs (typically).

12. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Yep, Barefaced S15. Carries in one hand, fits in the trunk, get's LOUD.

13. But do they found exactly like a sealed 8x10? Doubtful. I think id prefer the Genz or Markbass option to save weight, but again they might still not sound the same.

Berg NV610?

14. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Not exactly... but you can use an EQ to match the tone you have in mind (or pretty much match it) and appreciate the hugely enhanced polar response*.... no more weird filtering from the horizontal array, and much lighter weight to boot.

*AFAIK the 15's have a polar respose of a 15, an 810 (or 410, or 210 with the drivers aligned horizontally) have the response of a 21" driver in the upper mids / highs with much less even propagation throughout the room (multiple sound sources creating a horizontal pattern of interferance)...
    That's as far as I know.... I'm no expert. But I've never seen an 810 PA cab.

http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/speaker-size-frequency-response.htm
    Seems legit ;)

15. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Do 8x10s from different manufacturers or eras sound exactly the same? No two cab/driver designs sound exactly alike.

I've read that a fEARful with minor port modifications (blocking one side of the port or extending the shelf) can get pretty darned close to the sound of a sealed cab. One advantage of this is that, if you want, some Low EQ boost will still get the extended low end these cabs are known for.

16. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    According to the their website, it's about 120 pound.

17. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    There's absolutely no point in an ultralight (compared to others) 810 when an ultralighter 215 can push nearly as much air to maybe 20% more air (depending on which 15) for much less $ (& it'll be smaller as well).

If someone has to do an 810, O.K., enjoy. It just isn't cost effective for a box that will be lucky to perform close to a super 15-equipped 215.

18. MKA

MKA

Apr 14, 2012
    Northern Europe
  19. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I think for most players that use an 810... it's largely about a certain type of 810, like an SVT 810e or Fender Bassman... so a super-light alternative means making the 810 a very different beast. You can get NEO versions of some of these (like the Bassman) they may be great but for new technology it's using some very outdated designs... :rollno: