Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is there such a thing as...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Aug 7, 2005.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    When shopping for a gigging/touring rig, we all want certain things, soundwise. We all seem to want setups that can get loud when we need them to be. We want setups that are detailed and full sounding. We want cabs that aren't sloppy sounding, but punchy.

My question is, is there such a thing as having so much of any of these qualities that it was a bad thing?

1. Is there such a thing as too much headroom?
    2. Is there such a thing as too much articulation/detail?
    3. Is there such a thing as "too punchy"?

2. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    haha, on KJung's amp, he keeps the "punch" knob turned to eleven.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yes.

If you are playing certain styles of music you might want a differnt sound.

I like to use my Ampeg V-4 (100 Watt tube) sometimes because it doesnt have enough headroom. It distorts before it gets loud enough and I like it that way. I crank it untill it sounds like a distorted mess.

A lot of people also like a rolling rumbling low end kind of sound that a lot of people would call muddy. That also tips over into the too punchy category.

It all depends on what you are doing.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

It's been an adventure getting used to the modern 'tight' sound with a lot of punch. I agree with you. I'd like something that's in between, with punch and boom underneath it.

6. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Perhaps I should have been more clear with my question. I'm not personally shopping for any products or needing suggestions for punchy, high headroom, articulate cabinets.

As well, I realize that different playing styles best fit different equipment.

But for those who desire equipment (for their personal playing style/music) specifically designed for extreme headroom, detail, and punch, is there a point where too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing?