1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is there such thing as a buffer board?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Hello, I was sifting through signthreads and someone said something about adding a buffer board to a passive bass... essentially something that boosts signal so there's no degradation through the cable for.

I've done a search and come up with nothing... was he talking about a preamp and just used dif temrinology or is there something I can put in my passive basses that preserves my signal without altering on long cable runs?

Thanks

P.S. also could someone direct to a good guide about pots and capacitors... I'm wanting to upgrade the pots on some of my basses but don't know what to look at or anything.

2. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I put a little device called the Tonefreq Jr on my strap and it works wonder on all my passive basses (very convenient too). Because it's on your strap, you have a very short cable to the device. It also boost your signal up to 18Db. You can check it out on their web site.

http://www.tweakheadtechnology.com/ToneFREQJr.html

3. you are basically looking for a gain-only preamp...

preamp w/o active tone control....

the redeemer is one such beast...(at $126 :meh:)

I've yet to get back to my JFET buffer project...

but they do exist commercially

4. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    A buffer will always alter the tone slightly, but that's because you didn't hear the actual tone of the pickup without it being loaded.

Bartolini and EMG also make buffers.

Here's a dual buffer with variable boost I make. This coming weekend I plan on -- finally -- doing a redeemer vs. FET buffer A/B test.

buffer.

5. cool david...I take it you're using an FET what are you using? J201? 2N5457?

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    MPF102.

7. cool...I've found these to have a very similar transfer curve to the 2N5457, which I've been experimenting with...

8. So would you say that the tone of an active bass is the actual tone that the pick-ups are producing?

If it's going to cost me $100... I think I'll pass. I was figuring maybe a small $50 gizmo that I could slip into the control cavity, but it looks like that isn't so... however, I am pretty interested in that FET vs redeemer test... can I look forward to a threado n that?

9. Wow!

Do you have plan to sell it commercially?

Small outboard version like ToneFREQJr will be great.

If the price is right, I will buy it :hyper:

10. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I got a one on one demo of the redeemer when I was at NAMM. No matter what... i never noticed a difference when it was in the circuit and when it was bypassed. I'm sure it works and does exactly what it's supposed to do but i certainly don't feel the need to own one.

11. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Yes, but the thing is that the tone we hear is what the bass sounds like. Active isn't better or worse, just different. Buffered, the pickup will have more high and low end, but depending on the pickup, can seem to loose some warmth. You have to think that passive pickups are designed to sound a certain way without being buffered. So if they tried to give them a crisp top end, they might get harsh buffered.

On a smoother darker pickup, it can really open up the top end. Worked wonders on an old Gibson Sidewinder (mudbucker) I had in a bass.

For the first part.. you have a PM.

As far as the A/B test...I'm hoping to do the test this Saturday, and I'll post the sound files, probably in a Redeemer thread that was here somewhere... or I'll make a new one.

12. I hope you can find the original, extensive redeemer thread and put it there...lots of good discussion in that thread...

If I recall, I owe some circuit and sound input as well :ninja:

13. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Yeah, that's the thread I was talking about. A fellow TB'er kindly lent me a Redeemer to check out... so I need to get it back to him!

I still think the thing has a FET in it, but I have yet to try it. I was waiting for a bass with some passive pickups in it.. but now I have that part done. :) Then I was waiting for some new strings for that bass, and the place I ordered them from sent me two 4 string sets... :meh: