Is this 1964 Fender Precision pickup original?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarloweDk, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Hi guys
    Any vintage Fender experts out there?

Im lookin to buy this 1964 Fender Precision bass, pots have clearly been replaced - seller claim everything else is original

But take a look at the backside of the pickup, it looks fairly new to me?
    At least the wires and solderjoints
    It seem theris some writing in white on the pickup bottom, but i cannot read it

I read that fender first changed to grey instead of black pickup backsides during 1964 , so that should be in order

But what do you think?

Attached Files:

2. need more pictures than that. pictures of the top of the pickup including the pickup cover (it should have kind of a matte grained appearance) and without the cover on to see the coil windings would be needed.

3. Talked to the tech that changed the pots, he also changed the wires going to the pickups, as he wanted to bring the whole electronic department back to a true vintage working order since the electronics ( pots and jack)had been changed previously with plastic cables.
    To the best of his belief the pickups were original, he measured the output and impedance and that matched with early 60s Fender pickups. The pickup covers are slightly grainy as far as i can see. Anyway got a good price and bougth it:)
    Thx for the input

Attached Files:

4. great bass, congratulations

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021