Is this '61 Jazz Legit? Better Be for 40 Grand!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Apr 28, 2018.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Fender Jazz Bass 1961 Stack Knob Olympic White with Original Gold Hardware

Gold hardware? I didn't think Fender released any Jazz Basses with gold hardware back then. Also, does the headstock decal look period correct? Not sure when they switched from "Patent Pending" to the patent numbers under the logo in the 1960s? Even if it is legit, still a pretty ridiculous asking price!

2. jdthebassman

jdthebassman play to live live to play Supporting Member

another over priced machined block of wood with car paint

RSBBass, Aqualung60, TrustRod and 2 others like this.
  3. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    I guess like anything "vintage" "collectable" it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay. I personally wouldn't pay more than a grand or two. I own a 1960 Jazz that I bought as a kid in high school ('70/'71) for $100, when a 1960 Jazz bass was just a used bass. But is it really any better than a newer bass. I don't think so. Of course depending on the bass. Sure they're cool and all but again, 40k cool? As far as Fender/Squier goes, I can honestly say, I have played a bunch of them that played and sound as good as my '60.

4. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Wow, a 1960 model! They didn't come out until later in that year so that's an extremely rare bass you have. Does your headstock decal match the one in the Reverb listing?

5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Obviously priced for the collector market; so, not a player bass at all.

Were I a collector, and I’m not, the thing that appears the most suspicious to me is that Fender in that era almost always had matching headstock when the bass was painted with one of the “custom colors.” Don’t think I’ve ever seen an Oly white Jazz from that era without the matching headstock. Really unusual, if it actually is original; and I would definitely want to see provenance docs.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  6. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I might donate a testicle for that bass but i agree with the general opinion, the price is stupid. Is it me, or does that "gold" look like worn nickel?

Aqualung60 likes this.
  7. funkinbottom

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    No. Here is mine for comparison.

20180428_101212.jpg

8. funkinbottom

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Agree, worn nickle for sure.

9. Since the neck date is from 61, maybe they got past the patent pending stage.
    I would have expected a matching headstock color.
    I'm not sure it had to be.
    I am fairly sure that not having one already painted would not have stopped Leo from making a sale. ;)
    Generally, I think it's legit, but way out of my price range.

Templar and ajkula66 like this.
  10. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Yes, the headstock decal is period-correct. The Fender Bass; An Illustrated History displays the same decal on pg. 98, with what appears to be a non-painted headstock (you can clearly see the woodgrain, even though it's a B&W photo).

The decal @funkinbottom has does not match any of the ones shown in this book, as it's missing 'Trade Mark Electric Bass' under 'Jazz Bass' and the 'Pat Pend' entirely.

InhumanResource and mdogs like this.
  11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Shipping seems to be included.

12. taught

taught

Jan 5, 2015
    Hungary
    :D

illbuythen.jpg

cnltb, Aqualung60 and FugaziBomb like this.
  13. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Refinished body..heel of neck looks shiny, edges of tuners look to sharp......bargain at the price.

14. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    40,000 grand :roflmao::roflmao: no bass is worth that not even Jacos or Jamisons:woot:

15. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I always imagine these folks in the Holiday Inn Express commercials. They wake up amped and start listing basses.
    Cocaine is a helluva drug.

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The fact that the sellers mislabeled the hardware makes me wonder what they kjkn. The fact that the body is that clean after that long makes me doubt whether the finish is original.

But you never know.

17. RJC1811

RJC1811

Nov 19, 2008
    Canandaigua, NY
    I thought you said $40K? It's only $39.5K, AND free shipping, I'm jumping on this!

18. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Oh, could that be? Another "No-way-this-old-Fender-is-worth-the-X-price" thread!

19. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Painted headstocks began around mid-'62, right around when they went from slab fretboard to laminate.

20. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Really?? That auction for the supposed Jamerson backup P bass went for 68k

Templar likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021