1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is this '72 jazz real?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ras1983, Nov 20, 2006.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Looks like the real thing. Pretty beat and not all original so not worth the tall dollars some are going for

Rob

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes. It's in crappy shape but it's real, and it's probably a good player. Seems like the really beaten-up ones are quite often better than the ones that aren't. But boy, what a price he's asking!

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    don't forget thats in Australian dollars.

i wouldn't buy it though, i like a vintage look but that bass looks like its in pretty bad shape.

5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    And how much is that in 'real' $s?

6. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    hey guys, its got a four bolt neck. dont the old seventies ones have 3 bolters? my 75 RI has a three bolter, and bullet truss rod. looks pretty damn beaten up. i'd buy it, after playing it and it better be a bloody good player u know. if it plays like crap i wont get it

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

3 bolt and bullet trussrods didnt start for a couple more years, like '74. Again, looks for real

Rob

8. thats in too bad shape, looks like someone got some sand paper onto it

but i think the price ain't too bad

9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I had a 72 it has four bolts.

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Yeah, definitely looks real. Yeah, the price doesn't seem too bad, especially if it plays and sounds good.

11. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    It checks out ok, but, since it's pretty beat, I wouldn't buy it without playing it first. The price is a bit high, but not too bad for a nice player. I know some people say that if it's beat, it must be a good player, and I agree to an extent, but there is a substantial amount of wear, that I feel, goes beyond 'honest' playing wear. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't go near it without giving it a thorough examination.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Echo the above sentiments - this was when CBS had taken over and quality control was dropping like a stone...:meh:

Might be OK - might not...?

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah, it seems too risky.

oh well, another one will come up eventually.:meh:

14. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    That finish seems to be worn like a nitro finish(67 was the last year for nitro). Solder joints on the pots looks changed. Pickups date to 71, pots date the 22nd week of 72. I'd want to see the dates on the other 2 pots. Looks like the BRIDGE and saddles have been replaced.Could be cobbled together. I'd have to put it in my hands before I'd drop 2.2K on it. I do like the way it looks though.
    Serial numbers on the neckplate can be years apart.

15. anyone else notice how askew the neck is though?! looks like the bridge needs to be reset..

16. RudeMood

RudeMood Sadowsky and stuff. Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    It looks like Stevie Ray Vaughan's #1 beat-to-death Strat.

17. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i want it... :D

Dave

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Here, there, and everywhere!

That bass is beat to hell and back!

19. It looks real enough to me, but it has had one hell of a tough paper round. I like the look of it.

As has been mentioned already, it's an early '70s four-bolt which tend to be pretty good players.

The heel end of the neck looks like it has been under a bit of stress.. for that reason, I'd be wary. In fact, I'd want to give the whole bass the once-over. And I wouldn't pay nearly £1000 for it, either.

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The crack in the neck above the truss rod nut would concern me.