1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a ~68 CTS 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgasser, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Sorry for the darkness. This speaker is out of my dreaded late 60's Fender 2x15 but I am thinking this speaker would be better used in my B-15. I was wondering if this is a CTS or not? They are the only people I know of that had the square mag but I don't ever remember seeing the bolts on the back. The numbers in the pic are the only ones listed except for the cone stamping of 215A12-1. Thanks, I feel like a noob on this one.

view-2.
    view.
    view-1.

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    The 15 in my '67 does not have a aluminum dust cap.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    No. There would be a number like 1378xx, and the xx would be no greater than 52.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably a Utah.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I tried looking up that number, seems very odd. If 2485288 is indeed the speaker code, well it can't be, since 88 > 52 thus it wouldn't fit the EIA code. Anywho, 248 is the code for Arvin, which is a company that made TVs and radios for sears which could fit if the code is supposed to be 248528 (with an extra 8?), and they made their own speakers, but that's odd.

Here's one for those in the know, which companies made square magnet speakers?

EIA code info:
    http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm#speakers

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The list of companies that didn't is shorter. :smug:
    AFAIK only Altec, JBL and EV did not.