Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a bass worth buying?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bipedal, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Bipedal

Bipedal

Jan 24, 2006
    Fayetteville, GA
  2. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    musician's friend is the online store for GC. You can find this bass at GC to check out. I've never had any problems buying from MF.

A lot of people on the guitar forums have been singing the praises of the Schecter line of guitars. I think that bass looks pretty cool.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm not really a fan of Schecter guitars in general...the feel and sound have never really impressed me. I feel they are incredibly overrated, so all I can say is try before you buy.

4. Schecters have come a long way I think.. They arent THAT bad.. The only Schecter I have purchased was a California Custom 4 (discontinued I believe). I absolutely love this thing. Having said that, to me, the Custom 4 is the only out of the Schecter line that was worth purchasing to me but I've played some of their other stuff and they werent bad at all..

5. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Schecters are actually pretty darn good basses these days. I just got a new CV-4 today, and along with my EMG Model-T (monster sound), I like 'em as much as my G&L's and Laklands. I'm becoming a Schecter fan, really. Not all their stuff, but certain models really appeal to me.

They had some interesting USA Custom Shop Schecters in the store also, but those don't come cheap.

I was looking at a gorgeous Schecter California Custom Jazz with EMG's, quitlted maple top, in honeyburst with MHS. Discontinued model on close-out. I'm going back tomorrow to test drive it. It will likely come home with me.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Schecter makes solid instruments, if you ask me. Not my cup of tea for the most part, but good basses nonetheless.

7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    If the reviews posted next to that bass on MF mean anything, which they don't, then this is probably not a great choice.

Buying an axe is a personal choice that requires you play a bunch of different basses, preferably in the same location so you can go back and forth. Don't buy the first thing that seems OK, check out a few stores. Once you are sure you got the right axe, you can do the internet thing to get the best price.

As far as Schector goes, if you went through this process and felt this was the bass for you then go for it. Any other opinion makes no difference. I like red, you like green... there is no right answer eccept yours.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive played one of those and i didnt really like it,then again ive never found a Schecter bass that i have liked. I dont really like the shape of the necks.

9. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Omen's are the bottom line for Schecter instruments (right below the Deluxe). You'd be better off finding a lightly used C-4 or Elite for the same money. You can find most Schecter models on eBay for $300. Go to Guitar Center, play a few and see if you like the sound. Then start hunting for a good deal on that model.

Here is the current Schecter megaThread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220001

10. +1 Nothing really to call home about. I think the only really good Schecter was the Cali Custom. The rating from MF gives the bass an overall rating of 7.5, and I'd say that's pretty accurate. If I were you, I would check into some lower-end Ibanez SR300 series basses. They've got some new ones with a nice looking flam top, which really impress me, and inspire me to do a build-up.

-ryan-

11. Bipedal

Bipedal

Jan 24, 2006
    Fayetteville, GA
    Thanks for all the comments, the only reason I'm buying online in the first place is that there are no music stores that carry guitars for a good couple hundred miles.

12. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    There are 3 Guitar Centers within 35 miles of Fayetteville, GA.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/locations/

I assume you are not home right now.

Anyway, don't buy the Omen-4. You can do better for the money.

Bill

13. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yea there is a GC right off of 85 in midtown.. last time I was there there where Schectors as far as the eye could see... thought nothing I wanted to buy..