Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a beautiful piece of wood, or what?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cerb, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
  2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    MMMMMMMmmmmmmm
    tons of redwood in my neck of the woods too! I built a strat body out of redwood cuz I got some local real cheap. Besides it needing a hard finish, I did not 'reinforce' the neck bolt holes at all and I could move the neck in the neck pocket while playing! Pretty sweet, eh? A whole different kind of vibrato :) Perhaps I drilled the holes a little to big, I dunno.
    Anyway, If yur gonna use it as a body, either put a hardwood back on it or glue in the neck, don't use screws, or reinforce the neck joint somehow. That's my advice.

3. Not enough there for a whole body but it would do a nice drop top or something else carved. That would really show off that flame. Ya gotta love ebay wood. I sure do - ebay is one of my main suppliers. I've got 2 "pieces of a lifetime" stored back that are ebay finds. You can't beat it. :hyper:

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    It seems plenty big enough for a body. I don't want to burst your bubble. Good luck with it. I have had bad experiences with redwood and that seller. Also very tough to believe it is dry enough for you use. Look it over very carefully for tiny stress cracks. If that seems OK get a kitchen scale onthat goes up to 10 lbs. and weigh it. Let it sit for a month or 2 then weigh it again see if it lost any weight. I have had good and bad experience with e-bay wood. You may have lucked out........t

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I was actually wondering a cheap method by which I could check if moisture is being released still. I figured that it surely hadn't dried that quickly, but I just had to have that piece.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Just check it over carefully. It is very pretty. If it does show any of those hairline cracks.....they will go with the grain...contact the seller and get the $ back. That is one wood if I ever mess with it again I will only get from Larry...t

8. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I'm guess, by the sound of things, that redwood is a pretty troublesome wood to work?

I had originally planned on buying all future wood from Larry, but this piece was too good to pass up. I especially like the mineral stains (he said spalt, but it doesn't look like it). The blotches make it look almost like a lava lamp :D.

9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Redwood is not terrible but it is not terribly well-behaved either. It can be ridiculously soft and easy to dent. Watch where you clamp it. A hard finish is recommened. It is prone to splitting along the early wood lines.

Personally, I would not use it as a one-piece body. Mostly because you will get more bang for your buck using it as drop tops and you will have less denting surface area to worry about per bass.

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

Yes Yes And more Yes :hyper: :D

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that it was relatively soft, and that in itself makes me not want to use it as a full body. I like the clarity that harder woods such as maple have.

... Not that I'm ready to use it anyways. I'm still building my first bass (and have been for the past year or so).

12. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Well, it seems that rather than having the seller ship it to me, I'm having him ship it to Larry at the Gallery to resaw it. He says that I should be able to get 3 tops at 3/8" per from the piece :cool:.

With any luck, the first of them will be used with the attached design.

P.S. It's 4:00 in the AM so I should probably be starting on my geometry homework, and not surfing TB. I'm beginning to wonder if there are nicotine additives floating around this forum, because I can't seem to pry myself from it. :help:

Attached Files:

13. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    There are definitely nicotine waves of the American Spirit nature coming from this TB junkie!
    Not to worry, we're all hooked!

14. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Awesome look (CT meets Warwick?). You gonna be needing some fancy custom knobs for it or what *nudge nudge wink wink*?

-Nate

15. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Very cool designs! Can't wait to see them finished *cough*

I shouldn't be one to make fun of people who take lots of
    time to finish their projects... I still haven't made the control
    cavity cover for my first bass, which I "finished" about 2 years ago. :meh:

16. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Nateo: The CT/Warwick look wasn't really the original intent, but once I finished drawing it up I thought the same. As for the knobs... quite possibly.

Phil: My main problem with getting projects finished is the fact that I'm a poor 15 year old who gets paid minimum wage for an after school job. I'm gettin' there though :). I'm collecting tools as I need them, and it's slowing me down drastically. I'm somewhat optimistic about the whole thing, though.

17. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Larry did an excellent job with the resawing. He was able to get 3 3/8" pieces and a 1/4" piece. Here are a few pictures he took before shipping them off to me.

Here
    ... and here