Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a bottleneck???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I popped open my eden cab the other day to replace a broken binding post. I noticed the wires coming off of the crossover were ver small. Like 18 gague, maybe a tad smaller. Isn't that a bottleneck? I mean, I put fat speaker cable on the outside, and use speakons and banana jacks for their better conductivity, but what is the deal with these little puny wires? As far as I see it, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. So wouldn't it be a good thing to increase wire diameter in there?

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Not necessarily. You gotta remember that the wires you're seeing inside the equipment only need to go a few inches at most. Your instrument cables need to carry signal several feet, and mostly that's signal that's measured in fractions of a volt at best (taking into account the vagaries presented by active electronics and the like), which can cause the signal to degrade quite a bit, potentially, over that greater distance. That crossover wire could be for lots of things, like power to the crossover coming off the main body of the amp, and that crossover may only require just the tiniest little bit of power to get it going.

Could be lots of reasons that wire's little, and lots more reasons why it doesn't really matter. Honestly, I don't think I'd worry about it.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I am really talking about on the speaker side, not counting the instrument side. I meant the passive crossover in the speaker box. It is rated to 350 watts, so I would imagine that If I am pushing the thing, I am putting 130+ watts just thru the woofers. Tweeters are quite a bit less. I may switch them out just fer the hell-of-it. Did someone say Tara Labs....? :ninja:

:D

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hell, I dunno then.

If it's any consolation, I (for years) ran 400 watts bridged to two ohms mono to a pair of Kicker 10" subs in my car, and the only thing between that enclosure and my amp were a couple lengths of everyday speaker cable from radioshack (I think it was like 16 gauge cable).

:)

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, this stuff is pretty small. I dunno, though. I'll post if it makes any difference!

6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    If that 18 ga wire bothers you, don't look at a speaker voice coil.

The wire in the voice coil may be 24 ga or 26 ga depending. Remember that it has about 3 ohms resistance (4 ohm speaker) in only enough wire to wind around a small spool. Of course that is the "working part" of the speaker. The rest of the wire is just to "get there".

Its all about losses. If the losses are negligible, as they almost certainly are, there isn't a problem. Damping factor might be affected, if you believe in that.

But even the damping factor is a bit of a fraud. With 3 ohms of resistance in the voice coil, it seems a bit silly to worry about 0.003 ohms elsewhere. That is 1000 times less than the voice coil. Which one will limit the circuit? You guessed it, the 3 ohms is way dominant. That 0.003 ohm might as well be double, it still wouldn't have any significant effect.

7. Bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to wire. The most crucial factor is purity.....

8. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    No, purity makes no difference, it takes quite a bit of impurity to make any difference in conductivity and even then the gauge of the wire will be the deciding factor in it's resistence.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Exactly!