Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a Conklin New Century?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbanks, Sep 21, 2004.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  2. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Since it IS a bolt on, why pay the extra 7 or 800 dollars for an american.? Geez.

3. sure looks like a modified gt-7 to me. that color isnt available on the century series, the hardware doesnt match, and that neck isnt the neck of a century series either.
    that neck is wenge/purpleheart, not the maple purpleheart thats on the centurys. from the conklin site:
    heres what a century looks like
    http://www.conklinguitars.com/facebass/5gallery/5brown.html

and syberslack, the century series are the same as the customs just with standard option packages, the only non american conklins are the groove tools, which that definitely looks like.

4. That DEFINITELY does not look like a New Century to me. I was actually checking that ad out earlier today and swearing to myself it's some dirt merchant trying to pass off a GT-7 as a New Century.

I'd bet $$$ it's a Groove Tools. Buyer Beware. This guy needs an e-mail shot his way.

5. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Thar doesnt look like a quilted top either :eyebrow:

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I saw this also.. I'm very skeptical... As Eric618 said:
    Let the buyer beware...

I think I'll email him asking for more detailed pics..

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The neck and peg board is what made me question it. Kept thinking "that's no different than my GT-7", but I've been wrong before.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that is definitely not a new century - that's an old gt7 with an upgraded preamp.

9. Keep us posted Mark. I'm very curious to what he/she will say and what the pics will show. :eyebrow:

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    observe the fretboard - that's purple heart that's aged black. bill doesn't let any new century or custom bass out with p-heart that hasn't been stained to prevent that from happening.

11. John,
    What makes you think the preamp is upgraded? Just curious?

Thanks.

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Looks like there's a switch (mid-boost / active ~ passive??) on the bass... The stock GTs have no such switch

Edit: The newer model 4 and 5 string GTs do have a mid freq switch, but the 7 string models do not...

13. Ah. I missed that in those pics. They are pretty bad. I knew the GT 4's and 5's had the active/passive switch. I guess I just assumed the 7 did as well. Thanks Mark.

14. John, I just sent you a PM. Check it when ya can. Thanks!

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  16. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    But that one has a really nice piece of maple tough :cool: