Is this a crack in my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
  2. Did you drop the bass? Is it brand new and arrived that way? Hard to say. Probably won't effect the performance of the instrument.
  3. It 'appears' to be a superficial crack that's not really significant.
  4. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    I never dropped the bass, i baught it used, not sure if it was there when i baught it, i didnt notice until a year after owning it, so i assume it happened during my owning of it. The bass sounds great, im just thinking about selling it, and want to get this figured out.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hard to tell, i dont think itsa crack because of the dark color, maybe just an imperfection in the wood or an old scratch they tried to cover up :-/ what kind of bass?
  6. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    im not sure but doesnt wood crack along its grain? this one looks like a bad scratch. dont think it will affect your performance at all. you could try to fix it yourself if its a cheap bass, and the finish isnt too messy to remove.
  7. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Its a cort artisan A5.
  8. nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
  9. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm gonna say imperfection.
  10. +1
  11. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Based on my limited knowledge of wood working for a few years, it does not appear to be a crack
  12. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    'this one looks like a bad scratch'

+1 I have seen alot of cracked basses and to me that looks very much like a scratch/imperfection.....
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Look up the term Medullary Ray.

My AB1 showed up with what looked like cracks in the wood under the, I freaked out. I sent pictures to Sheldon Dingwall, who told me it was medullary rays in the alder. I had also sent pics to Larry Davis in the meantime, who concurred with Sheldon's assessment.

At the time I was just worried that my new and fairly pricey bass was going to crumble in my hands.
  14. I have a bass with an ash body that is probably 10 years old. It has developed a number of minor cracks like yours and they all run perpendicular to the grain. It's just how the wood ages. They're really just cosmetic. Run your fingernail against the crack and you should be able to feel it.
  15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well keep in mind, it IS a piece of wood. Wood isn't perfect. They've been through countless weather conditions. It's probably just something in the wood. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you're REALLY worried, bring it to a luthier, or call one and explain the problem.

All in all, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Especially if it's underneath the finish.

16. The way that it is dirtied up and kinda jagged make it appear, to me, like an old slightly deep scratch that is aging / getting dirtied up. Take some alcohol on a q-tip and work it into the area in question. If it comes up dirty, keep at it until it comes up clean and then inspect it again. It's reallt probably nothing at the most a superficial crack. If it worries you about potential spreading, might I suggest some thin-viscosity superglue wicked into the area to stabilize the void? Superglue has excellent capillary action, and will work into the smallest of voids and in some cases fill the void if small enough. A couple applications like this and I'm sure it wouldn't get any worse.

17. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Don't use alcohol on any bass unless you're very sure that the finish is impervious to it. I took finish off the neck on my Rumblefish with a wipe of alcohol. Alcohol is for drinking, not cleaning basses!:D
  18. Color me surprised. I've heard that of acetone, but never of alcohol. I've used it for years to get dry sweat grime off my basses to no ill effect / clouding. :meh:

Sorry for a potentially bad suggestion.

Carry on, hope the bass is ok....
  19. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Yep, it was a surprise to me too. I used to use it all the time on my Fender Jazz Bass Special with no ill effects. (Thick poly finish I guess). But the 'Fish didn't care for it one bit and I had to have the neck refinished! :eek:
  20. mamm7215

Mar 23, 2005
    It's more an imperfection than a crack, but I'll happily take that A5 off your hands for a reduced price if you're worried about it. It would compliment my C4Z nicely.