Is this a crack in my bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Jan 31, 2006.

1. I'd say it's not a major issue either way. If it's actually a crack, and starts to "move" (i.e. get bigger) take action - either follow mon's advice and "wick" some thin superglue into it, or take it to a qualified repairman for the treatment.

However, to me, it looks more like a scratch or imperfection in the wood, and it will likely come to nothing.

:)

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I am almost possitive this is not a deep scratch. Just the way it feels and looks towards the edges makes me possitive this isnt a scratch. But with my crack/imperfection, what could i use on the oil finish on this bass to see if i can clean some of the dirt out of there and maby this will help me diagnose if this is just a wood imperfection or crack.

3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

I've used isopropyl alcohol to clean the strings and back of the neck with no problem on the 10 basses I currently own and all the other basses I've owned.

4. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    It's a stretch mark. My woman's got them.

5. bassfreak_85

bassfreak_85

Jan 31, 2006
    Dude take take the tip of your finger nail and run it through if it feels rough or kinda jagged it maybe a crack

6. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I had this exact situation when I purchased my Modulus Q5 (alder body). I sent pictures to Modulus and the shop where I purchased the basss. They promised it was not a crack, so far so good. This was three years ago.

7. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    silly wabbit crack is for kids.:eek:

(its superficial whatever it is, not a big deal either way, if its a scratch its old because of the color and rounding of the scratch edges- same with if its a crack. and if its old and the bass sounds great then well no biggie!)

Lets see a pic of the whole thing!
    looks sexy
    Todd

8. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    +1!
    LOL:D

9. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    my best guess is that it is just a scratch,that happened while sanding and just looks bigger and darker because more stain settled in that area.

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/Linas03/basses.jpg

heres a pic of the body, and yes, she is sexy, but depending on how my trip to the lakland factory goes this weekend, she might not be mine for too much longer.:D

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yeah, I had quite a freak out for a few days. The rays appear to be 3-D, and when I had a local tech who's been in the business look at it, he too thought something was up. They were peppered throughout the body wood. Haven't had any problem yet, but I still look at them from time to time just to make sure...

12. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I have the exact same bass. It plays as good as it looks!

13. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    This is a crack that was there when trhe bass was made or handcrafted. The only way to fix it, is to fill it with Superglue.
    The crack will not disapear but will be sealed and will not get any bigger. Nothing to be alarmed with, that's what we call working with wood.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021