is this a crazy idea.....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rock-wannabe, Sep 3, 2004.

1. rock-wannabe

Sep 3, 2004
    Ok my friend has just give me a squire JV serise p-bass, the neck is bowed (getting it sorted out/ may have to get a new one) and i wanted to convert it into an 8 i saw on warmoth a Schaller 471 8-String Bass Bridge i know it doesnt have the 5 mounting screw holes, but is this all i have to change/ how do u convert it into an 8 string. I have NEVER EVER done anything to a bass guitar this just a crazy idea....please reply G
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well I'll hit this one first but by no means take what I say as the last word on things. You will need to replace the Bridge AND the nut. You will also need to find some way to tune the extra strings. This would require one of 2 things in my mind:
    1: Adding another set of tuners to the headstock. In most of the Octave string heads I've seen the second string set usually has smaller tuners, probably G**tar tuners but still I'm not sure if the original headstock would have enough room to add another set of tuners between the originals. If you see them. the 8 string basses usually have significantly larger headstocks (this is true if it's an ERB 8 string or a 4 string w Octaves, You simply need enough headstock room for 8 tuners.

2: Not sure if this would be possible but you may be able to find an 8 string bridge that had the tuners for the Octave strings built into it, similar to how they do it on the headless basses. You would then need a nut that would hold the "ball" end of the octave strings and let the "loose" end of the normal bass strings through to the original tuners.

Those would be the only way possible that I can think of, but this board is full of much more creative people than me so hopefully one of them can give you a more definite and or complete solution.
  3. Just off the top of my head, I don't know how ANY neck designed for 4 strings will work well with 8. Too much tension with not enough reinforcement. You would probably have less problems with a quality piece like a Warmoth but I wouldn't trust any of the others.

IMO - leave this project alone.