Is this a "dead spot"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, Sep 27, 2001.

1. On my P bass, there is a spot ranging from about the 6th fret to the 8th or 9th fret on the E string that sound a bit different to me.. for example, the 7th fret on the E has alot less sustain and clarity then the 2nd fret on the A. Is this just because the E string is thicker?
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    dead spots sucks! :mad:

i think you just found one
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm not really sure, cause it seems a little low for a deadspot (usually around 5th-7th fret on the g).

But it could be one, of course. Or maybe some bad frets?

Let some good service tech check it.
  4. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I agree -- not saying it can't be a dead spot, but that would be kind of unusual in that spot.
    I would more likely suspect a dead string, worn frets, or maybe it just needs a truss rod adjustment.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Is it as if the note doesn't ring out at all? In other words, if you were trying to tune a string to that string at that fret, there's not even enough of a note to tune to? That's how the dead spot on my P is, (2nd fret of the G; I just play around it :D ).

If all those frets are truly dead spots, I'd do just as JMX is talking about, and get thee to a tech, a Fender authorized tech if possible, (there should be one at any local Fender authorized dealer).

If we're talking dead spots, all those notes are matching or close to matching the resonant frequency of the neck, (never heard of that many :confused: ). There are a couple of solutions, one where you certainly don't need a tech.....

- one you can do yourself, is to get a Fatfinger. It's a clamp made for guitars and basses that clamps onto the head. This has been successfully used to move the dead spots by playing with resonant freq's. It doesn't get around the root problem - neck stiffness (a stiffer neck doesn't resonante so easily).

- get a new neck

- remove the fretboard and install two graphite bars into the neck to increase stiffness.

To show you how complex this resonance stuff is, take a look at the pic on this page of a lab test where one frequency, 430Hz, was introduced into the guitar body. Get aload of the various colors in the neck representing different frequencies -
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Just from what you've written here, I don't think you're describing a dead spot, but rather the differences between playing low strings higher up the neck and the same notes closer to the nut.

This is useful tonal variation and if I'm going for an "upright vibe" then I will start the line on the lower strings higher up the neck - there is more of a thud and less sustain - more like an upright, although not exactly the same envelope.

Whereas if you play say the G string near the nut it sounds more twangy and sustains much longer - more useful for soloing or "popping".

The "classic" dead spots on Fenders are usually on the D or G strings at about the 5th, 6th frets, but you wouldn't expect so much sustain on the E at the 7th fret and above anyway.
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    my squier has a dead spot around the 5-7 fret on the G. it sounds really bad, especially when you play with a pick and expect good punch and sustain and it doesnt deliver. Well, at least my pups are good. :D
  8. My first bass was a squier, It had a dead spot from about fret 1 to 21 on E A D and G :confused:
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, I guess we all had a bass like that when we started out...[​IMG]
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You mentioned that the sustain seems to drop off significantly once you get to about the 6th fret on the "E" first question to you is, "Does the sustain get better once you move higher than that 2-3 fret range?

If it seems like the sustain goes from decent to poor to better, it may require your neck to be adjusted or your frets to be leveled.

If it's, as Bruce indicated, a situation where the sustain begins to drop off and doesn't get better again, then it could be just due to string thickness.
  11. well, i think you all convinced me that this is due to string thickness.. But what can I do to at least add some more sustain to the higher frets on the E? I was thinking a Gotoh bridge, some lighter strings, etc.. I tried slightly higher action, which solved my fret buzz problem, but didn't do any justice to the sustain. What do you say? Because it just really annoys me.. sometimes I like to go straight from the F on the A string (8th fret) to the C on the E string, and it doesn't sound right! Especially when I'm playing with a pick. I'm using pretty thick strings, DR lo-riders 105 gauge.
  12. Squier

Apr 16, 2001
    Northants, UK
    I't could be the same with all P's, on mine the 7E has less sustain than the 2A