Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a decent amp? (Carvin 1X15 combo)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Faded, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=PB100-15&CID=BA

This is just for college and jamming with other bands (so I don't have to lug my whole rig from my main band's practice room, which is down a flight of stairs). I don't care if it doesn't have amazing tone, I just want to be able to hear myself over the drums, and play small gigs with it. Do you guys think it'll have enough headroom? If not, are there any other combos in the 300-400 dollar price range that will do the job better?

I'm spending graduation money, BTW. :cool:

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You'd be much better suited with a Yorkville XM200. It's alot louder, better customer service and warranty, and probably much more reliable too.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I say go for the Carvin. I've been playing their amps for years without a single problem. IMO, they sound great, too. There are a lot of folks on here who don't like them for whatever reason, but mine have been terrific. Good luck.

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I think I would get this (click here) over the carvin and save about $100. Seems like a pretty good deal.

But then there is this (click here) for a few bucks more...and 80w more. Or get this (click here) for the same money but have a tilt back cab (but 80 less watts).

Oh man...decisions decisions.

:D

Joe.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Oh god, not DRIVE. I have one of their little amps. Noisiest POS i've ever played through. Also cuts out once it starts to heat up. Definately avoid their products.

6. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    That Ashdown is one of the other ones that I've been looking at. I think a local store might have one, I'm going see right now. What about those Fender Rumble amps?

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Really?

Which amp did you own? Did it heat up because of an extension cab? Or just from regular use?

Joe.

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I would get the Ashdown over the Rumble but those new Bassman amps look interesting. The Bassman 150 especially. But I have heard that you can't add an extention cab so you would have to be sure a 112 would do ya. But dang, I'd sure like to give one a go!

Try it while you're at the music store and let us know!

Joe.

9. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    Well, I couldn't find one. I did come across a used Ampeg BA115 for $375, so I might get that. The pivotal thing is, the Ashdown has a line out/tuner thing, so can I plug headphones into it without damaging the phones? The ampeg has a heaphones jack, and I need an amp that I can plug my sennheisers into (for the dorm room).

10. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
  11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    If you like the tone of the Ampeg and you can afford it, AND if you are sure that 100w is enough then go for it. Personally, I think the kickback feature is pretty cool and that it has a headphone out. The power is the only thing that bothers me, but I'm funny that way.

Remember, YOU have to be happy playing it and IT has to perform the way you need it to. Otherwise don't get it.

And if you NEED a headphone out (perfectly reasonable given your situation) I would get the Ampeg. The Ashdown does not have one and a tuner out is not the same as a headphone out. I wouldn't do it.

Joe.

12. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    There you go then.

Have fun and when you get it let us know how you like it (you know, a review).

Joe.