Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a decent first bass+amp????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rossmanning, Jun 13, 2005.

1. rossmanning

rossmanning

Jun 13, 2005
    Here it is: http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTKJB100 it looks decently built. 55 people totaled a score of 8.3...not bad. It's fretboard is rosewood and body is basswood which is pretty good supposedly. The amp is a 25w Johnson I can get off a ebay store I bookedmarked for $68 free shipping. http://stores.ebay.com/ELEVATION-MUSIC-STORE_Bass-Amplifier_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm they sell them all the time. So were looking at $210 for it, then I need a cable. so like $230 all together should cover it. Does this look like a decent starters setup??? Is Bass really hard to play, or if you keep at it, you will develope skill? I tried drums, too much for me to handle! I want to find a musical instrument to play!!!! Bass looks sweet!!! It does not look as hard as the electric guitar. It has 4 strings (the one I want), bass strings are somewhat thick and sturdy, and they are not small. On the guitar, they are really small, and there are more strings. I have large fingers. I am 6'5 270lbs! I am almost 19. I bet I could do it with enough practice! I am excited!!!!!!

-Ross

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    IMHO, you'd be better off with the cheaper SX's at Rondo, and even after paying shipping, you'd pay less:

http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html

Uh-oh. Duck. :bag:

BTW, welcome to TalkBass....

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Definatly look into SX, cheaper and probably much better than the hartke (though I'd be guessing) Another advantage to the SX is that most Fender replacement parts would work in case you ever feel the need to do some modifying.

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    If I were you I'd look for a used bass in your area. I think you get more bang for your buck that way. Do you have any friends that play bass? Drag them along to look at stuff if you do. I recomend you take your time and get the best bass you can afford.

5. rossmanning

rossmanning

Jun 13, 2005
    Ok. Would the SX SPJ-62 in vintage white be a good choice?

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Excellent choice. A P-J usually gives a wider variety of tone options than either P or J alone.

7. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    You could order that Essex bass, and then pick up a cable and amp from Zzounds in a seperate order. I'm not sure if SX basses come with cables, but I know that when I ordered my first bass from American Musical (Ibanez GSR200) a cable came with it. Anyways, as far as an amp goes, use whatever money you have left to decide your purchase. Just make sure that the speaker size is at least 10 inches, and the amp has at least 15 watts.