1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a decent next step?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wallio, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Wallio

Wallio

Jan 5, 2017
    Hello All, (Kinda long post warning)

First time poster. Just looking for advice. Had loved the bass since I was a kid, but never played until this past November. Milestone birthday hits and on a limb I go full mid-life crisis and bought the Stagg in my profile pic used for $120.

I honestly never thought I'd stick with it past a week or so, but I quite like it, and have improved a bit (I think lol) mostly from playing Rocksmith. I know want to upgrade to a "mediocre bass" that I can upgrade the pick-ups and throw a whammy bar on down the road. I can't justify the expense to do it to my current POS.

Being a child of the '80s, I always adored Steinbergers. Now I'll never be good enough to justify buying a real one, but the Gibson Spirits seem decent enough. Would that be a good next step?

2. Welcome!
    These are my opinions:
    Steinbergers. I love them. I don't own them any more. I've owned the real deal XL2 and copies. The copies have all been junk to me. And, strings are a pain to source locally.

My suggestion is go somewhere you Dan go play a bunch of different instruments. This way you'll gauge what's comfortable in terms of ergonomics and sound to you.

If it were me I'd get a Squier Vintage Modern or Classic Vibe series P or J. The are cheap, but far from mediocre. I'd rate them as very good. I've owned/own a few and love them. None was over $250.00 used. Should you want to upgrade parts/pickups or make mods you'll have a world of options. That said I haven't felt the need to upgrade anything on mine.
    20160813_113133-02.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  3. Wallio

Wallio

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I feel must clarify my "mediocre" comment. I come from the auto racing world where you do indeed get what you pay for. That being said, I realize buying a $5000 bass will not make me Flea lol. But I do feel I have reached the limits of this entry level I have, which for $120 as a joke kind of, has more than served me well. Next step to me is a "mediocre" one, then in a year or two if I'm still at it, a "decent" one lol.

But all that said, You're right. I do need to go back to my local brick and mortar and play a few. I haven't been in one since I bought that Stagg, and since I had never held a (real) instrument in my hands before I picked it merely based on the body design.

Going back in now having (some) semblance of what I'm doing would probably be much more fun.

4. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    If you are sold on the Steiny take a look at the Hohner B2A. It is a Steiny licensed knockoff, good build quality, decent tone. It was my first bass and sounded good for a $500 bass.
    Hohner%20B2A-V-walnut.
    Available as a 4 or 5 string... but probably have to buy used, I don't think they are made any more. Only reason it is gone is I have switched to 32" scale fretless basses.
    H

5. Wallio

Wallio

Jan 5, 2017
    Buying used doesn't bother me. Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.

6. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    It is interesting to me that you mentioned a Whammy bar as a potential future mod. Is there a player, or music style that inspired that? You don't hear too many bass players talking whammy bars, especially newer players. Nothing wrong with it, I am just curious how you caught that bug.

7. Wallio

Wallio

Jan 5, 2017
    To be brutally honest? Too many drunken nights playing Rock Band years ago lol.

I know it's totally pointless on a bass, but for the occasional dive bomber with friends it will be worth it. Plus it's a conversation starter.

CaseyJ likes this.
  8. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    I could not think of better reasons my friend. Rock on