Is this a decent Power Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mulepods, Feb 22, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    I don't know much about power amps. I'm looking at the Peavey PV 900. Is this a decent model to pair with a BBE Bmax-T? It looks ok on paper. It's only got 300 watts but that's all my cab can handle anyway.

Here is the product page
  2. Peavey is known for making solid, reliable gear at a good price. It's not the best - but usually among the best for the money. I used a Peavey power amp - PV series, but one of the more powerful ones - for years in a PA, never any issues or problems.
  3. looks like you have a preamp for tone shaping. The peavey should work just fine and last forever.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I followed your link and also looked at the owner's manual online. The amp is bridgeable too, which means that with a 4 ohm load, it can put out 900 watts, so it's a lot more amp than you might think.

The stereo ratings are 180/ch into 8 ohms, 300/channel into 4 ohms, 450/channel into 2 ohms. Bridged it would be 600 watts into 8 ohms and 900 watts into 4 ohms.

As the manual states, never go below 4 ohms in the bridged mode.

That should be plenty of power...
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    IIRC, it's a pretty decent amp. If it's a nice price and in good condition, go for it!
  6. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    Sweet. Thanks. I keep reading about QSC power amps, but they are out of my price range. The PV900 only costs $299, so I'm glad it will get the job done.
  7. Since you show an interest in QSC amps you might want to know that the QSC RMX850 is generally $299 brand new.
  8. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    For the price per bang for buck, I'd go with the Carvin DCM600.
  9. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I agree. the Peavy isn't bad. I own a PV1500 that I use for monitors and it has worked well but I also have several QSC RMX series amps and they are bullet proof. Given the choice I would pick the QSC.