Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is This A Douglas/SX/Brice Bass!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xsogol, Nov 20, 2005.

1. I've encountered this 6 string bass on eBay:

Johnson JJ-336

It is the exact same shape as the Douglas SB-26 Ash only with different PUPs, alder instead of ash bodywood (according to the link) and a different fingerboard. Are these from the same factory as the SX/Douglas/Brice basses? Does anyone know anything about these basses? Thanks!

2. It looks like a clone to the Douglas's body shape, control knob layout, and pickup routings. I'd say they're all made by the same contractor, and then setup, and labeled elsewhere... You get what you pay for!

~Ryan

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    johnson is a lot crappier

4. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I believe Johnson is an entirely different brand. My Johnson 4-string says it was made by AXL, and i think AXL is an offshoot of Fender (correct me if i'm wrong). Then again, I got mine 4 years ago, so it may be different now.

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I resent that... I <3 my Johnson starter bass :(.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    imported bass... might be of the same factory as some of the Rondo stuff. BP mag just did a review of the Johnson Violin bass (I think... Jack Bruce cover)

This one looks HOT

[​IMG]