1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

is this a fake or a real one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by galore, Oct 3, 2006.

1. galore

galore

May 10, 2006
    EU
  2. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It's real. I know that amp very well. It belongs to the drummer in my band. I regularly use it for rehearsal. I should say USED. I'm gonna miss that amp a LOT!

The tech who did the work on the amp is well regarded in the area and I don't think he'd screw up the amp by putting crappy resistors in it.

The Genz Benz speaker that's below the amp in the photo is mine.

I can attest that this amp is very original. When the owner bought it, it came with 2 8-10 cabs! They're long gone though.

I have no financial connection, but I do have a friendly one. In any case, it's not a fraud.

3. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Wow, I'd heard that Ampeg used 6146s in the original SVT, but this is the first picture I've seen. The 6146 was used in lots of radio transmitters in the 50's and 60's, but not so much in audio. In addition to being expensive (probably still are !) the 6146 had the 600+ volt plate connection to the cap on the top of the tube. They look very cool, though... Not sure how many SVTs were built like this, but I'll bet the number is small.

This might be more of a collector's piece than a player, although it probably sounds great.

As for resistors, if they are the correct value, their effect on the sound is somewhere between subtle and non-existant (IMHO)

doc

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    I'm afraid of amps with rusty transformers.

5. galore

galore

May 10, 2006
    EU
    Thank you so much for helping guys! MrBonex, I sent you a pm.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I should save those pictures for the next thread where I read about how much better point to point wired amps are than those built with printed circuit boards.

Some folks don't realize that SVTs have always been circuit board amps...

8. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    My Trace Elliot V6 is a circuit board amp, too. And I think it's the holy freakin' grail of tone. I don't think circuit boards are the issue -- it's circuit DESIGN.

IM Limited and Probably Ignorant O.

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not the least bit limited or ignorant, I think you're exactly right.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Maybe someday we'll see p2p wiring where tubes are suspended in spiders like they do for condenser mics. That'd sure help with the microphics.
    This would be a mechanical aspect to the design. A new boutique nitch.

11. It doesn't matter that SVT's NEVER used point to point or that most tube bass amp users know that p-t-p is overrated anyway.

EDIT- evidently, countering with information like the fact that SVTs have an internal shock suspension already and that "seamonkey" is not aware of it is now now some sort of personal attack.

12. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Want to hate somebody?

I picked up one of those and a matching SVT cab back in '84 both for $120. :eek:

Sold them off since I needed space and didn't need that kind of power.

Jim

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Man...did I miss something?

I found the link to R.G. Keen's article interesting.

I'm the one that brought up circuit boards because I get tired of folks claiming that circuit board based tube amps are inferior while they still say that SVTs are the cat's meow...

Building on what MrBonex posted, I think that circuit design is the key to any amp regardless of whether its solid state or tube.

I'm not sure what happened in this thread to have it get so ugly:confused:

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    In '96 I bought a '72 SVT head for $250 that needed new preamp tubes and a good cleaning. Ended up costing me an extra $100 to get it running like a champ.

Bought an SVT cabinet a year later for about $400.

I presently have neither...

15. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Keen's article is good. It does point out that shotgunning an amp and replacing resistors can effect it's tone. You'll often hear of someone put their tube amp in the shop and hat components changed out and now "it sounds better than ever" High voltage and tubes themselves all effect the tone. They are not consistent.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    And finally, taking an old classic amp and swapping out all components doesn't give you the same amp it was originally. When you see a smile on the guitar players face cause they just got a rebuild of their amp - it's not the same amp. And if they like it better now, then those old parts must had been worn out. Either way the amp doesn't sound the way it use to.

17. Wuss.:spit:

:D

18. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Seamonkey:

"And finally, taking an old classic amp and swapping out all components doesn't give you the same amp it was originally. When you see a smile on the guitar players face cause they just got a rebuild of their amp - it's not the same amp. And if they like it better now, then those old parts must had been worn out. Either way the amp doesn't sound the way it use to."

Me:

Sorry, I don't know how to do that quote thing.

What's your point? There are two reasons to swap out parts (that I'm aware of). 1. You want to "upgrade" and "improve" your amp. 2. It's old and parts are worn out.

Firstly, it's obvious that the goal is to make sonic changes. So that's rather obvious. Secondly, as an amp (and it's parts) ages, one might want to bring it up to original spec -- or even repair a problem. It sounds different because the old amp has aged! Of course it will sound different! Will it sound different from the "original" the day it walked out of the plant? I'm afraid there's absolutely no way to know that. It's just an assumption on your part. You might as well try to prove the existence of God.

So while you're empirically proving that God knows that the sound of the amp has changed from the original, I'll go back to playing my bass.

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    well at least I know that somebody here doesn't ignore my posts. :D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021