1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a Fender Bass or a Squier Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moshspeggeti, Dec 24, 2016.

1. moshspeggeti

moshspeggeti

Aug 5, 2013
    Illinois
    So I'm interested in adding a P to my stable, and I came across one on Craigslist that caught my eye. It's advertised as a 1996 Fender Precision Bass, and it has Fender written on the headstock with a Mexican Serial Number. However, doing some more research into the 90's Mexican Fenders, apparently there were some "Black Label" fenders that were actually squiers. Is this one of them? And if so, does anyone know anything about them? How do they compare to their actual "Fender" counterparts? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    You may be thinking of the "black label Squiers" that were US parts assembled in Mexico. Those had the Squier Series (small) decal, so this wouldn't be one of those. This one should have Strat knobs - I can't quite tell from the pic.

ISTR the black label Squiers were earlier than 1996 too.

3. moshspeggeti

moshspeggeti

Aug 5, 2013
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info, I was gathering the information I was reading up on from an older post, I'm pretty inexperienced with 90's Fenders, and the company was doing a lot of transitions at the time.

4. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    1996 seems about right, made in Mexico black Fender logo. looks legit to me. They're not the best of the MiM line by a long shot and the logo can cause questions on resale :)

5. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    They are actually a transition model, they are really Fenders, body and neck made in California and assembled in Mexico with Squier hardware. With an alnico pickup upgrade, darn good players for the money. I've had a couple pass through.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  6. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Those are legit Fenders. The thing is that hardware and pickups were "Squier quality". I say you get it if the price is fair and do some upgrades. New bridge, new pickup, new tuners, new knobs... Not all at the same time but some suggestions. Finish and pickguard look fine to me.