Is this a good amp combo?: Dinosaur DB100 100 Watt Bass Amplifier w/ Overdrive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red701, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Red701

Aug 5, 2005
    im trying to find a good amp under $250. i think this . it seems to meet all the criteria of want i want but ive never heard of dinosaur so i donno if theyre good. if they are could you lemme know? if not, could you tell me what kind of amp? thanks alot.
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've never heard of "dinosaur" amps. Fender rumble 100 is about $250 new here are some reviews:

if you can save another $125 I'd suggest yorkville xm100 for $375. review:

and check ebay, but stick with names you've heard positive things about around here TALKBASS
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Go to and check out the Alesis combo they have. That is my favorite practice combo. Peavey makes very good combos as well. Never heard of the one you listed though...
  4. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    People around here have heard of most everything, I've never heard of it either, if you keep hearing that, I'd keep looking. I have a Nemesis combo I love but it's about 3 times as much.

Old Grouch just got an Ashdown he really likes.
  5. Probably crappy; but just because it's new I wouldn't rule it out (well actually i probably would) but the thing is it's called "dinosaur" and that warrants at least SOME interest....if that store has a return policy I'd get it because it's called "dinosaur" which is clearly one of the coolest things to have ever existed. Worse case scenario you can return it. I can only hope that when you plug it in its a bid dinosaur effects peddle and it works like a synth pedal and turns all notes to differently pitched dino roars.....amazing..... Dino distortion is something I'd like to hear too... dang... maybe I will get it based on my affinity for dinosaurs...
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Careful on this one if you are having it shipped. Often, a "no hassle" return policy means "yea, we'll return your money on the item, but you are on the hook for shipping to and fro. So, the dinosaur experiment might cost you $80-90.

Go to music123. They are clearing some Hartke kickbacks right now for about that price. Those are usable.

This is a MUCH better deal:
  7. OK, this is going to have to be heavily researched. This is possibly the greatest intro to an amplifier/guitar site i've ever seen (probably the best guitar player I've ever seen too)

I saw one store describe them as "our most economic line". But being in a dinosaur band I HAVE to investigate this.... will report back soon on this brand as I get findings....
  8. Origami Kamikaz

Origami Kamikaz

May 2, 2005
    I bought one as my "starter" guitar amp some 5 years ago. It is crap. :(
  9. Dang it, intuition wins again.

Just to clarify, their guitar or bass amp? Have any sound clips? r u anywhere near chicago .....
  10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC

Click on the DB50 amp. It is rated 50W(peak)/25W(rms). What a surprise. The peak-to-RMS power ratio of a sinewave is exactly 2:1. There is no rating listed for the DB100, but I have to assume it is rated at 100W(peak)/50W(rms).

You would get more power out of the 60-Watt Behringer combo, or more than twice as much power from their 120-Watt combo, either of which is within your budget. The Behringer amps are rated for RMS power, and there are fairly comprehensive specs available for you to evaluate.

I could glean virtually no information about the Dinosaur amps, and they are not sold by the major dealers. In this day and age, I expect any serious vendor to publish their owners manuals online, so I can look at the pictures and detailed specs.

What's intriguing is that Eleca will manufacture an amp for me in China, with my own product name on it.

11. Red701

Aug 5, 2005

thanks for all the help so far guys. i probobly wont be able to buy anything in the near future so the sales probobly wont help, but i will look into all the amps suggested so far. you guys are great:D