1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a good Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sigve, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Sigve

Sigve

Sep 15, 2008
  2. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

'Amf' is Amp for poster who does not use English as a first language.

It is a rather small 1x12 amp. I think its great for a practice amp or with an
    acoustic band/ jazz band.

For a rock, punk or metal band with a loud drummer you will need a bigger amp, the
    100 watt 1x12 combo probably won't cut through.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    They used to make bowling balls, and other sporting goods. They bought Harley-Davidson in the seventies, almost ruining the company. Thank god the family bought it back, and it is now public. I'm puzzled as to amf pertaining to music, as the f key is nowhere near the p key on the computer keyboard.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It totally depends on how loud your drummer is. In general I'd say it's not enough for most situations. If I was you, I'd look for something else.

5. Sigve

Sigve

Sep 15, 2008
    I regret my use of the word "amf", while i should have used the word "amp". Could someone answer my questen in a serious way?

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You got 2 serious answers already. Just wait a few more minutes and more will come.

7. 100 watts will easily overpower drums until someone actually plays them. :)
    And please understand that many TBers are here primarily to point out spelling & grammar infractions, in order to puff up their poor self-esteem. My main reason, anyway. :D

8. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Since I posted a sarcastic 'amf' comment and then deleted and also owned this amp for a minute, I'll reply. It is a nice amp although the one I had rattled when the volume started getting close to halfway. It was loud for its size although I found most of the preset amp models added a lot of hiss. I liked the 'flat' setting the best and that one didn't seem to hiss. I wouldn't buy one again considering all the other options out there these days.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Here's another serious answer. That amp, while great for practice or acoustic gigs, will not satisfy your need to be heard in a rock band. Not only is 100 watts slightly low powered, but a single 12" spkr is rarely enough even with more power. If budget is a concern, shop for used amps, and if it's a combo you want, go for at least a 15" spkr, or 2 10's with the ability to add an extension spkr on to it.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not a good choice for ~400 euros. Find used gear with much more power and 2x10 or 4x10. Don't buy built-in effects. These are a waste of money, IMHO. Buy effects later once you can be heard.

I would avoid a combo and get a separate head and cabinet. You can later upgrade one component and then the other--or add more cabinets if you have enough power. :bassist: