Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this a good bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by popnslap, Dec 22, 2004.

1. popnslap

popnslap

Dec 22, 2004
    hey i have been playing bass for about 3 years. i have had an ibanez soundgear to start off with and i just got a Peavey Millennium Bass BXP (4 string) and i was wondering how good of a bass it is. i play alot of funk, alt rock, jazz, some blues, and i love poping and slapping. this bass has an incredible sound with the nickle wound strings when i pop and slap and it caught my eye when i first tried it. but the more i use it the more i notice the lows dont have as much boom as my soundgear did. this guitar has a wet metallic sound that is good but i just wanted to hear everyone elses opinion before the 20 test run runs out. :help:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's as good as you percieve it to be. Many of the most distinguished players here have basses ranging from very expensive to very inexpensive. Just because it costs more doesn't mean it's "better".

Personally I have some nice midpriced instruments, a made in USA Fender Jazz V and a Tacoma Thunderchief with Fishman EQ, both with list prices well over $1K, and a custom build jazz in the same range, but I'm just as happy playing my Brice V2 6 string fretless that listed at mid $200s and I bought for $160.

I had a meet at my house a few months ago and Brad Johnson came with 5 or 6 very expensive very custom basses. What did he end up with strapped over his shoulder for a good deal of the time? A sub-$150 Essex fretless Jazz copy. A good bass is a good bass no matter what the cost, high or low!

If you like your Peavey (and Peavey basses get a great deal of respect here in case you haven't noticed) then just play it and be happy.

Most of the quality of the sound coming out is from the player anyway.

3. popnslap

popnslap

Dec 22, 2004
    cool... im glad to see a positive response fast... i think it has incredible capability but im not satisfied with the sound it has with walking basslines when i play jazz... other than that its incredible and it was cheap... only $150...

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's a horrid bass. Go back to guitar center and buy a squier. [sarcasm]. Seriously though, it's only as good as the player ;). If you think it sounds bad or plays badly, then it's not for you. But a good bass is for you to judge, not us.

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Like they said, it has to feel good for you. Cost and name recognition (either good or bad) shouldn't be the 1st priority.

BTW, it's not surprising that the Ibanez is a heavier hitter ... some Sound Gear basses, especially the SRX series, are thunderous compared to other brands ....