Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good beginner’s bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jherzog, Aug 16, 2004.

1. jherzog

jherzog

Aug 16, 2004
    I have never played the bass before but would like to start learning. Obviously, I would like to spend as little as possible without buying a bass that is so poor that it hampers my joy of playing and/or ability to learn.

Is this a good bass to learn on?

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=624083

I am sure a lot of you have opinions on what the best beginner's bass is but I am hoping for some input about this particular bass on overstock.com. Considering the markdown I felt like it is a good deal for a beginner’s bass but I wanted to make sure I am not buying some toy.

From the research I have done it seemed that this brand "Lyon" is a part of Washburn. However, I can not find any info on the Washburn site concerning Lyon. Can anyone clearify.

What do you think of the Overstock.com Lyon Bass?

2. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Just so that you don't think everyone is ignoring your question, I'll let you know that I doubt if anyone here has ever heard of that bass. The only reason that I have ever seen it is the fact that I shop that site for other things. Look into something a little more mainstream like a Fender J or P bass (MIM = Made in Mexico), an Ibanez GSR200, or maybe even an OLP. Those would be good choices for budget minded buyers and there are several on E-bay.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That looks like it was made in the same factory as the Essex BG-180
    http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$NCHIF1YAAAL5DTZENUGJPQWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940496&PRID=1018860

The Essex would be a better choice. Essex is a respectable brand and is known for being a great bass for the price.

Also check out cheaper Yamaha basses.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I second this http://www.rondomusic.com (essex basses)

And cheaper yamahas are amazing for the price.

5. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    ditto on the essex.

I also like the Dano bass ..

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I second this.

Buying an unknown instrument from an on line distributor is risky. Actually buying any weird unknown brand is risky because you will have virtually no support from the mfg. if something goes wrong with the instrument.

Stick with a known brand because these unknown companies come and go.

You can probably find used entry level Ibanez, Yamaha, and Fender's for around $100.00. New Yamaha RBX170's are as low as $179.00 at Guitar Center.

7. jherzog

jherzog

Aug 16, 2004
    Thanks for all of your input. After carefully listening to everyone this is my choice now.

The Essex SX-BG 180 for $139
    The Yamaha RBX170 for $169
    The Yamaha RBX270 for $179

Which one should I buy? Please, of course, take into consideration the price different. On my budget $40 makes a difference. But if the Yamaha is that much better of a Bass, so be it.

Does anyone know the difference between those two Yamahas? With the prices that close I can't imagine much difference. However, since the model number goes up I assume the RBX270 is better than the RBX170.

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I thought it was a washburn at first, because I know they made a Lyon model.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I think Lyon is Washburn's under brand like Squier is to Fender.

10. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Rondo!

11. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    My nephew learnt to play on a rbx270. That is really a sweet bass for you to start on. Go for it!

I think the difference between the 170 and the 270 is in the body wood (Alder vs. Agathis) , the pickups (Dual P's vs. P/J) and color options. Oh, and maybe the QC...

If it's not too expensive, go for the 270.

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The RBX270 isn't bad. That is the first bass I played when I started out. A Bass / Guitar teacher friend of mine keeps one as a loaner for his students.

I used it for a couple of weeks.

He has had no problems with it in the 3 or 4 years that he has owned it.

I think the primary difference is the electronics / pick ups.

If there is only a $10.00 difference go for the 270. I think it has been discontinued by Yamaha. That why it's so inexpensive.