Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is This A Good Beginner Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Javgeoaa, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Javgeoaa

Javgeoaa

Sep 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    Hi There!

I'm new to the forums, as well as the Bass (Playing for a good 2 weeks now). I was wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with the Kima/Python Basses. So far, i've been learning on an bass that I have no idea what make or model it is. It's pretty faded and I can't make out anything significant on it.

Anyways, A friend offered me a new Python Full Size Bass with a soft padded gig bag for a little more than $170 USD. about $200 on Lease. But he told me that I can pick as many accessories as I wanted seeing as how he works there. Anyways, I did some research but I can't find any sort of review on it or anything. The most I found was their website, but it doesnt contain any useful information. ( http://www.kimamusic.com/ )

So, is it a good value for a Beginner Bass? Or should I save up for something else. Thanks for any input.

2. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    As a low budget bass you will hear a lot of people around here talking about SX or Essex basses. Plus its one you can grow with and mod as you get better. I'd seriously look at an SX Jazz if I were in your'e shoes.
    BTW Welcome to Talkbass

3. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Those Kima basses look like they're the equivalent of the Rondo Music imports that are so loved by talkbassers.. Decently made starter instruments. 170USD seems like a lot of cash for such an instrument to me though, I'd go with an Essex from www.rondomusic.com instead, though once you throw in shipping and a gig bag the Essex from Rondo may be about the same amount of cash as the Kima.