Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good career move for Kylie?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3260689.stm

I can appreciate her new stance to a degree, but I think she might be chipping away at the foundation of her career. ;)

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd definitely put her in the class of those who contributed to increase of erotic imagery in modern pop music... although I wouldn't complain if she can now help pull things back the other way a bit.

Wulf

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It might be refreshing to think that her #1 single was based on a good (Icelandic)songwriter and the singer's talent for once...

Naw, that is too radical a concept for the masses, it must be a fluke!

:meh:

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hahaha, this is what we in German call "driving out the devil with Beelzebub".

Her new album is called Body Language...so she's definitely swimming against the current :p

Sex is a good thing, so I don't mind eroticism in pop culture. I don't watch/listen to charts music anyway, so Kylie can do what her product designers tell her to. :spit:

5. I noticed that Candy Dulfer's album titles don't all play on the "sax/sex" thing like they used to.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I know what she's getting at, and I think I agree with her. You probably haven't seen the hip hop videos she has in mind, right? They're not about eroticism, not at all. They're about "yo, watch them there hoes doin' it to eachother, I'm da pimp and they're mah bitches, yo, shake yo azz, beeatch".

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, I agree.

Well, it's been a while since I saw MTV, the last rap video I saw had Public Enemy in it :p

8. "Minogue - at the top of the UK chart with her single Slow - said the song's video was a conscious move against the abundance of explicit imagery."

- then, why does she have scantily clad dancers practically dry-humping each other when she performs "Slow" live on UK TV programmes TOTP and CD:UK?

Kylie's speaking out of that famous rear-end of her's :rolleyes:

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I don't listen to women singing over drum machines but I have seen her last video as well as her health club endorsement commercial. She didn' seem to be worried about sex in pop music either time.

10. This was in our papers a week or so.

The REALLY funny thing was that the very next day after that article, page 3, there was a picture of her in a corset and undies, and thats about it!
    It was taken from a show in LA i think?

:rolleyes:

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The pendulum swings... and then it swings back! I must admit I am getting a little tired of the blatant in-your-face style that's been so common lately. And I LIKE sex! But there's something intriguing about the things that are hidden, maybe a little "beneath the surface", so to speak. Victoria's Secret stuff usually does more for me than Playboy centerfolds. Why is that? It's not just me, I've talked to some of the fellas recently and it seems there's quite a few of us on the same page about that (yuk yuk, no pun intended till after the fact:)). The other day I happened to be in the studio when a group of rappers was taking a break, and I overheard one of them saying, "man, you seen one bootie, you seen 'em all". Now I don't know about you, but for me that's just about the apex of ignorance and stupidity. The Russians have a very descriptive term: "Nekulturny". It means uncultured, boorish. That's what we can easily become when we think there's nothing hidden from us any more. It's arrogant in the extreme. But then, that's a lot of what those styles are all about, right?