Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good deal? 1992 MIJ Jazz for $675 Cdn ($540 US)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hawkeye, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I tried out a used 1992 MIJ Jazz on my lunch hour at a local shop. Hardly any visible fret wear, mint body, no nicks, very nice fret work, Olympic white (that's the bright white) with red tort pickguard. Looks like it is a '62 RI.

The neck was gloss finished. I prefer the satin finish like my MIA Precision but this was very, very nice to play.

Do you think $540 US is a good price for a 13 yr old MIJ in great shape?

The only thing that put me off was the truss rod adjustment. No access cut-out in the pickguard / body at the heel of the neck. The shop owner said that it was necessary to remove the neck in order to adjust the truss rod. That seems like a lot of work for Ontario winters on a neck that is not graphite-reinforced (2-3 times per yr.)

2. No, I think that's a bit out of line for these basses right now. I bought a mint 1996-7 CIJ fretless from a well known pawn shop chain notorious for their "blue-book-priced-like-new" policies. They started with a $399 price and I got'em down to $299. 6 months later I was able to purchase it's twin - a 1987 MIJ model from a music store selling on ebay for $285. This was 4 years ago and some prices have climbed a little but not near 50%. These are still good values and should be $400-$450 even in Canada.

Dave Siff just popped a great deal on a CIJ P bass but it's even more different than my CIJ J. His has markings that indicate it was probably never intended to see these shores. A prime specimen with a fabulous neck between an A and a B width, killer sunburst and an original mint pg. His was in that $400-450 range.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I wouldn't go that high on a MIJ/CIJ ... You're getting close to MIA there ...

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Thanks for the opinions guys. I think I'll go and see if I can neegosheeate.