1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a good deal? 1992 MIJ Jazz for $675 Cdn ($540 US)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hawkeye, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I tried out a used 1992 MIJ Jazz on my lunch hour at a local shop. Hardly any visible fret wear, mint body, no nicks, very nice fret work, Olympic white (that's the bright white) with red tort pickguard. Looks like it is a '62 RI.

The neck was gloss finished. I prefer the satin finish like my MIA Precision but this was very, very nice to play.

Do you think $540 US is a good price for a 13 yr old MIJ in great shape?

The only thing that put me off was the truss rod adjustment. No access cut-out in the pickguard / body at the heel of the neck. The shop owner said that it was necessary to remove the neck in order to adjust the truss rod. That seems like a lot of work for Ontario winters on a neck that is not graphite-reinforced (2-3 times per yr.)

2. No, I think that's a bit out of line for these basses right now. I bought a mint 1996-7 CIJ fretless from a well known pawn shop chain notorious for their "blue-book-priced-like-new" policies. They started with a $399 price and I got'em down to $299. 6 months later I was able to purchase it's twin - a 1987 MIJ model from a music store selling on ebay for $285. This was 4 years ago and some prices have climbed a little but not near 50%. These are still good values and should be $400-$450 even in Canada.

Dave Siff just popped a great deal on a CIJ P bass but it's even more different than my CIJ J. His has markings that indicate it was probably never intended to see these shores. A prime specimen with a fabulous neck between an A and a B width, killer sunburst and an original mint pg. His was in that $400-450 range.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I wouldn't go that high on a MIJ/CIJ ... You're getting close to MIA there ...

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Thanks for the opinions guys. I think I'll go and see if I can neegosheeate.