Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good deal? (fretless stingray GAS!!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Went to Guitar Center again today to play their Fretless Stingray 5 w/ Piezos. It almost exactly looks like this one, only it's a black with a sparkling red burst. (Probably the "black cherry burst"?)

[​IMG]

Plays, looks, and sounds like a dream! The price they quoted me was $1600 out the door with case, $1499 without the case. Now this is the first offer they made me, and I didn't bother going into negotiations cause I don't have that kind of money just yet. If I try, I can probably get it for $1500 with a case, I would say.

Is this a fair deal? I know it's probably not spectacular (Guitar Center, duh), but it seems fair to me. Any opinions?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If you take your time and seriously search around you can find that model MM a little cheaper and in some cases you can get it tax free, depends where and what state the dealer is in and the state you reside.I would say take your time Guitar center you will learn rarely give a good or great deal.try Bass Central they offer great deals and they are full of different MM models.(colors and Features)

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Having bought more than a few SR5s (and 4s and Sterlings and Bongos and so on), I can definitely assure you that you will get a better deal through Bass Central.

Call Gard or Grasshopper before you do anything!

1-866-802-2277

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Also, consider buying used on Ebay or a few other sites like basscentral and bassnorthwest.

I bought my last two Stingray 5's used on Ebay for around $750-800, and they were both of excellent quality. I've seen a few fretlesses up for auction in the past week as well.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'd say look around at different places online and write down quotes. Then go back to guitar center and show them what you found. They will probably cut you a deal, especially if you're ready to walk out the door if they don't. Remember, those guys have bargaining room.

6. So I have looked around some (bass central etc) and the quotes I got were very similar to Guitar Center's. Plus the "Burnt Apple" finish is discontinued. I might just go for the GC one, if it's still there in a month or so. The only downside of that is that you never know what kind of abuse it has had to endure sitting in the store. Then again, most kids in there just grab the fretted models to show off their "mad slap skillz". I don't think fretless basses are as likely a victim of stupid punk GC customers... I will have to inspect it closely though.

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Cool! Sounds like you're doing the right thing going with the one at GC then. Can you ask them to put it on layaway with a downpayment or something (?)

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    When possible buy out of state...with price tags between $700 used and $1500 new, hefty shipping costs are almost $100 cheaper in some cases than tax.

9. Not sure if they do that.

They did mention their GC credit card, "no interest, no payments for 14 months". Anyone have any experience with that? Do they really essentially just give you 14 months to pay the price without interest, or are there other financial catches, like "processing fees", "convenience fees" and BS like that?

10. tea

tea

Sep 30, 2003
    Maryland
    Gc Card:

From experience as a retail manager (the wretched RadioShack) I can tell you that those no interest no payment programs are almost always awesomely legit. The big thing is the interest tends to swing between 24 and 28% and, with our customers at least, failure to pay in full occurs with around 35% of customers. The garnered interest, combined with the massive uptake in volume, is generally more than enough reason to avoid any shadiness or fiscal trickery those cards carry...hope that helps.

Jeremy

11. Thanks all. :)

Next time I'm down there (a good hour drive), I'm gonna give the bass a closer inspection!

12. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I believe that their no payment thing is completely legit but if you do go past it there would be a interest fee added on. I never had any experience but a friend of mine did this with a Sam Ash card, and he paid it all in time and there was no penalty or anything.