Is this a good deal on a Fender Prodigy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CYoung, Aug 16, 2001.

1. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Local shop has the following:

Fender Prodigy
    Cherry Red body
    Condition is 'good' with some finish checks and dings.
    Has Jazz-style pickups and sound.
    Unit is Made in America
    Neck is good and stright.
    Hard case included
    Strap locks installed

Sorry, not much other info to give. Owner wants $300. Is this a good deal. This unit seems to have separate treble/bas control. Is this active or passive? Is a battery required?
  2. Fender PRODIGY?

are you sure that this bass exists?
  3. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    That is what the headstock read. The body has no pickguard and the unit has P-J pickups like a jazz bass. I had never heard of it either. Anyone heard of this thing?
  4. T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    The bass exists. I saw one on ebay for around 250 and it was still a couple of days away from ending. I put a post up asking others what they could tell me about this bass but no one seemed to have heard of it. It was a nice bass from what I remember, a lot different from the normal boring old p and j. I say go for it. 300 doesn't sound too bad.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

...Unit is Made in America.....
    Neck is good and stright.............Is this active or passive? Is a battery required? [/B][/QUOTE]

C - I remember when it came out. Beware that "Made in...." bit. Fender got into real hot water over this when there was a lot of "Buy American" sentiment and the Gulf War was still fresh. The neck and the electronics were made in the US, but the other components were made/assembled in Mexico. The flak Fender caught over making the bass appear to be totally US made may be the reason they dropped the model.

The 2 or 3 I've seen were actives and I know the Prodigy guitars were active, (battery, yes). Just to make sure you don't have a freak, look on the back for the battery compartment.
  6. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    This unit had no separate battery cover on it, just the standard control cavity cover. There is probably a battery under there somewhere. I will try to check it out in more detail later today.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Could be. Active designs didn't seem to be so uniform back then.

It really makes more sense to me to put it in the control cavity instead of screwing up the cosmetics with a separate routing.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Local pawnshop wants $399 for a Prodigy.

Too much in my opinion.