Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good deal on a Roscoe Beck 4 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Jan 29, 2006.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I'm pretty sure that this is one of those "too good to pass up" deals that only happen to other people, but I wanted to tap the Talkbass collectives opinion.

There is a local music store that has had a Fender Roscoe Beck 4 string in stock since the day they opened over a year+ ago. They are now having a huge clearance sale and it just so happens that the RB4 is included in the sale. It is a Lake Placid Blue 4 string with a maple fingerboard. I've spent some time noodling around on it and liked the versatility of the dual humbuckers. The fretwork and overall fit and finish was really pretty nice as well. I checked for the intonation issues that were noted in the early models, and this one seemed to have spot-on intonation with no issues at the bridge.

So... I can pick it up for just a shade under $800, brand new, with case. Tell me, is this a deal I should not pass up? I've got Lakland Darryl Jones 4 on order, but I'm thinking that this may tide me over until the GJ comes in later this summer. What say ye?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk thas a fine deal , especially for a brand new one. That and the darryl jones will make a great pair.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think that's a great deal. Especially if it's in stock and you can walk with it.

4. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks guys, I think I'll probably pull the trigger on it. If it doesn't turn out to be a "keeper" I should be able to sell it down the road and pretty much break even.

5. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    darn,i would buy it,for sure.

6. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    800 bones new?

No doubt I would buy it, that bass is listed all over the net for over a grand.

RUN, RUN now, go get it before it's gone........:bassist:

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    At that price, you could probably sell it for a profit.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    True, but those of us reading this thread now know better. ;)

I would also recommend jumping on that.

9. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Guys, I'm still firmly on the fence here. I really don't think that I'd like this bass more than the Lakland Darryl Jones that I have on order. If there's anyone out there in TB land that would be interested in this bass, I'll be glad to act as go-between. As I understand it, the clearance sale ends today, 1/31, so shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I still may buy it for myself, but if there's someone out there who really wants it, I'll be glad to help out.

10. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    hEY ! DOES IT HAVE A MATCHING PAINTED HEADSTOCK? if not ah well...

11. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Nope, this one is new, built after the date when they discontinued the matching headstock.

If it had the matching headstock, it would be even harder for me to resist.....